Author Topic: Spraying stained doors and decorative woodwork  (Read 9322 times)

Offline Downunder Dave

• Professional Painter, Auckland, New Zealand
Spraying stained doors and decorative woodwork
« on: March 11, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »
Hi Folks

I am pricing a job to paint interior stained wooden doors and frames (9), baseboard,  mantelpieces etc. The wooden doors are panel and so I am thinking that spraying is going to be the most efficient approach. I do not have any knowledge of the stain system that has been used previously, whether it is a stain/varnish or other shellac built up over years. So I should probably assume the worst, unless I could ask the owner if I can do a test (brush) prior to submitting my proposal.

I live in New Zealand so some products you U.S. based painters use aren't available here. What is available here (apart from local brands which you guys wouldn't be familiar with) is the Zinsser range.

My question is which primer (assume I need adhesion and stain blocker) should I apply, by which means (hvlp/airless are my options) and do I thin them.

I understand that spraying BIN could be hazardous from a health and safety point of view and not achievable using an HVLP, though this would probably be the best Zinsser product. Coverstain would be my next guess though this would probably be need to be thinned to spray. Would this work? The instructions say don't thin, but would thinning with Penetrol be ok? Bullseye would be my last choice as waterbased and could bleed stains later which I definitely don't want. Would I need to apply one or two primers? Finishing coats will be waterborne enamel.

Thanks for any comments/advice

Dave
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:39:03 PM by Downunder Dave »
Painter/Decorator, Auckland, New Zealand.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Spraying stained doors and decorative woodwork
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »
welcome...use the coverstain straight, no thining  always good to have the store shake/mix any shelved paints or primers, warming up the can in the sun or even let it acclimate to the interior temperature will put it at the right consistency to spray, use an airless...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline Johnmkem

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »
I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM.
I recommend trying this mt4 expert advisor for profitable investments

Offline WinnieWabi

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:39:40 PM »
what excellent answer.
Time-tested expert advisor for independent business

Offline Galowyyp

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
Willingly I accept. In my opinion, it is actual, I will take part in discussion. I know, that together we can come to a right answer.
The best of the best mt4 ea for reliable trading

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
Re: Spraying stained doors and decorative woodwork
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 06:42:29 PM »
I think thinning with Penetrol should be okay. You can try it on a small area first and check how it comes up.
John Reider Properties

anything