Author Topic: Primer bubbling and peeling from plaster  (Read 3495 times)

Offline MattWC

Primer bubbling and peeling from plaster
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
I am remodeling a kitchen and prepping to paint a plaster wall. The house is 150 years old, and the wall was previously an exterior wall, so I'm assuming it is plaster applied directly over brick, as was common.

After removing the old wallpaper and paste, I applied standard Killz latex primer which worked fine on all parts of the wall except one area close to the floor, directly above the basement. After a couple of weeks, the primer bubbled and peeled off the wall. Next, I thoroughly scraped and sanded the peeling primer and applied Killz oil-based low odor primer. To my surprise, it also peeled and bubbled off the wall in the same spot. I re-scraped and re-sanded the wall again and this time I applied Zinnser Bullseye bonding primer. The same thing appears to be happening again.

What is the solution here? I am guessing that the issue is moisture, so I thought for sure the bonding primer would do the trick, but no such luck. I had another old house and we had a very similar issue with painting plaster over brick wall -- no paint would stick to it. I am considering putting 1/4 inch dry wall over the wall, but that will be labor intensive and I'm hoping to come up with something easier, like skim coating it with a masonry product maybe?

Thanks in advance. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:55:50 AM by MattWC »

anything