Author Topic: Day 11 of Painting Mess  (Read 6332 times)

Offline TooManyColors

Day 11 of Painting Mess
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:57:57 PM »
Hi all.
For some reason I trusted the folks at the Sherwin Williams store and now I have a real mess on my hands.
I painted most of my house with Benjamin Moore and that was many years ago. But a friend has been using SW to flip houses and there was a color I liked so .....
I bought Emerald flat in Naval. Yes, one of the darkest colors there is.
Am painting over a medium blue, approx. 11' x 12' bedroom that had eggshell/satin paint. I had a professional prep the walls as they were in rough shape.
SW told me I would need just one gallon of Emerald because the paint is that good and has a built-in primer.
Have to laugh - I know better, I guess I just really wanted to believe. Like Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz.
I knew something was really wrong when I started cutting into a corner by the door that is too small for a roller. Used a Purdy medium stiff brush - that SW sold me - and the paint just would not stick. I had to go over it so many times it was a hot mess. Cut in one wall, rolled it out. Repeated 4 times.
There were entire places where the paint didn't even stick.
I called the store. They said it must be me. I called the 800#. Again, my fault.
Went back and they gave me another gallon. Explained that the first guy didn't know and I would need 2 coats because the color is so dark. This one more coat would definitely do it. The guy there said load up a lot of paint on the brush - it needs a lot of paint. (Yes, because it doesn't stick!)
Did a second coat. Same problem. I even took a video of me trying to apply the paint.
Called the 800#. Told to put just a little on the brush. I had too much paint.
Went back to the store. Told I didn't have enough paint.
Then I did what I should have done two weeks ago. I googled Emerald paint reviews.
It's not me, it's the paint!
SW says they want to make it right and frankly, I don't know what to do next.
Do I use another coat of Emerald and keep applying it until it eventually covers?
Do I use another SW product? If so, which one?
Do I go to another line? The BM store didn't know what to tell me other than do one coat of primer and then one coat of their paint. They say their paint covers in one coat. (I'm not falling for that again!!!)
Have been on the sofa for over a week and my old body is taking a beating. After I get a color on the wall I'll have to tape it off and fix the ceiling and trim where my efforts of forcing the navy paint on the wall spread to every white surface.
Any and all suggestions are welcome. Including getting someone to wallpaper the darned room and be done with it!
Thank you so much!!!

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: Day 11 of Painting Mess
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:58:54 AM »
With out seeing it, I don't know. I DO know there is NO primer in ANY can of paint. Was the wall properly prepped,(ie,sanded?) I would take Ben Moore's advise and apply a proper primer and a couple coats of their paint(it will NOT cover in one coat, no matter what they say.

PS< I would be happy to paper it for you.

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
Re: Day 11 of Painting Mess
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:40:06 PM »
Why don’t you post a picture of the wall you are painting?
John Reider Properties

Offline Danielijfn

Day 11 of Painting Mess
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »
Very amusing piece
The best of the best free expert advisor for successful business

Offline Joyceufpf

Day 11 of Painting Mess
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
many thanks for the help in this question.
I advise you to use this forex trading system for reliable investments

Offline Carriejebu

Day 11 of Painting Mess
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »
This amusing opinion
I'm using the auto trading system for reliable trading

anything