Author Topic: Treating 30-year old cedar shingle siding: Which product and what application?  (Read 4703 times)

Offline vashonislander

Hi All,
I live in the Pacific NW on an island in Puget Sound. We get a lot of rain, and my place has cedar shingle siding. Overall, the shingles are in good shape, I'm cleaning them with sodium percarbonate and then neutralizing them with oxalic acid. The shingles still show some uneven weathering, but I'm okay with that look. I need to treat them before the Fall rains arrive. Any recommendations on products? I'm leaning towards an acrylic semi-transparent stain. (I've heard the semi-transparent has at least some pigment bodies in it that will improve adhesion and durability over the clear stains.) I am not planning on priming, and I'm assuming there aren't primers that would still allow the semi-transparent stain to show much of the wood's character.

I've also heard that it would be difficult for an amateur like me to spraying on and get an even application. However, spraying and then backbrushing seems a lot easier than brushing and backbrushing. Any thoughts? And what type of brush is used for this kind of outdoor application? I'm assuming there must be larger and longer-handled brushes available?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
Yeah, back brushing immediately after spraying pushes the material into these small cracks. This ensures a filled, protected and smoother surface. Use a roller for best results.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:09:09 AM by RichardParker »
John Reider Properties

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Hi All,
I live in the Pacific NW on an island in Puget Sound. We get a lot of rain, and my place has cedar shingle siding. Overall, the shingles are in good shape, I'm cleaning them with sodium percarbonate and then neutralizing them with oxalic acid. The shingles still show some uneven weathering, but I'm okay with that look. I need to treat them before the Fall rains arrive. Any recommendations on products? I'm leaning towards an acrylic semi-transparent stain. (I've heard the semi-transparent has at least some pigment bodies in it that will improve adhesion and durability over the clear stains.) I am not planning on priming, and I'm assuming there aren't primers that would still allow the semi-transparent stain to show much of the wood's character.

I've also heard that it would be difficult for an amateur like me to spraying on and get an even application. However, spraying and then backbrushing seems a lot easier than brushing and backbrushing. Any thoughts? And what type of brush is used for this kind of outdoor application? I'm assuming there must be larger and longer-handled brushes available?

Thanks for your thoughts!
welcome with the acrylic semi transparent stains you want to give it 2 coats by spray letting the first coat wick in a bit but not dry...spray the second coat almost to flood stage then let stand again for a while, depending on weather conditions, you only have to tip off heavy areas that are running or sagging with a brush...acrylic semitransparent are pretty easy applying, ass far as brush, you could use a soft bristle push broom it doesn't matter, your just working in or removing the excess stain ...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

anything