Author Topic: Peeling/Bubbling Paint  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Devils1419

Peeling/Bubbling Paint
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »
Good morning,
I recently purchased a house and am in the process of painting before I move in. I have run into a couple of issues and am open to any suggestions or advice that anyone has. Had no problems in the kitchen, then moved on to the downstairs bedrooms. Started painting the ceiling and it started to bubble, the new paint wouldn't stick. Long story short, had the same issues with the walls. I attempted to apply primer to the walls, but that wouldn't stick/penetrate either. Ended up having to scrape and peel the old paint off the entire room. It appears that the room was re done at some point, because there was only the one coat of paint on what looks like fairly new sheetrock. I have a feeling i will run into the same problem in the other bedroom and am looking for any help in regards to what i can do, if anything, to avoid having to strip the old paint off the walls. Is there a special type of primer that will penetrate the paint? Also, the only place where the old paint didn't peel off in fairly large pieces was where the drywall joints/seams were. It seemed to stick fairly well in those areas and is very difficult to chip off with a putty knife. Thank you in advance for any and all help! 

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
Re: Peeling/Bubbling Paint
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
Are you using a water-based primer?
John Reider Properties