Author Topic: Paint blistering in bathroom  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Dbas

Paint blistering in bathroom
« on: July 17, 2017, 12:55:48 PM »
Hi all, I wondered whether anyone could help?

Our bathroom was redone 3 months ago. Recently, the paint on one wall started blistering. This wall was already painted when we moved in, and so when bathroom was redone,  a coat of primer was put on top of the old paint, and a few days later, 2 coats of paint.

The new paint is now reacting with the old paint underneath. Would the solution be would be to pva coat, replaster and then repaint?

Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Paint blistering in bathroom
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »
welcome...not too much info here but I'll give it a shot...make sure the bathroom has good ventilation (strong ceiling fan) this reduces the lingering of excessive moisture that may be occuring.... do not use pva over existing painted surfaces...fixing it may require removing compromised coating down to tightly adhered surfaces which not necessarily means completely removing all of it...applying a primer that is solvent based or specifically made for deteriorating surfaces (they make em just have to google)...let that fully dry the re evaluate you may have to sand only or sand and retexture...if just sanding then you can repaint and use a semigloss or higher (helps with moisture repellent)...if sand and texture then reprime using a bonding primer and finish with semi or higher gloss...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 12:33:44 AM »
First of all check if bathroom walls are damp or maybe there is some water leakage affecting the wall.  Yes, PVA coating may help as well.
John Reider Properties

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:09:27 AM »
pva coating will do nothing at all to help