Author Topic: Spray painted indoor mural--how to make it safe?  (Read 3850 times)

Offline grover4232

Spray painted indoor mural--how to make it safe?
« on: July 22, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but my husband had some of his friends spray paint a mural in our baby's room (due 9/4.) It's super cool and we love it, but I didn't even think about the chemicals/safety until it was complete. I'm looking for advice on how to make it as safe as possible. It was finished three days ago, but it's still pretty stinky. We've had the window open, and I have an air purifier in there that filters out VOCs. I read somewhere that heating the room can make the paint off-gas more quickly, so I'm trying that with a space heater--doing several hours of heating the closed up room and then opening it all back up and using fans to ventilate. A friend recommended some kind of sealant, but I've heard mixed things about how effective this would be in creating a more chemical free space. We aren't living in the house yet, but the idea that these fumes might never go away is stressing me out. The artists did such an amazing job though, and I can't imagine taking it down or covering it up. I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Spray painted indoor mural--how to make it safe?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:57:40 PM »
welcome   reason for the stink is that during the venting or drying process the solvent odor will absorb into many textiles, Carpet, Drapes etc causing the odor to linger longer than once the paint is fully dry, (note, paint can take many days to fully dry), the actual odor absorbed into nearby textiles is not dangerous, only the venting or evaporating drying time is.....once it is fully dry, any lingering odor is not dangerous ...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

anything