Author Topic: Fixing over-patched walls  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Shunsazi

Fixing over-patched walls
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:53:15 AM »
Hello all. I have been recently trying to update my home, built in 1950, and am running into some snags with the painting process. Our walls are sheetrock and have been patched and painted many times over the years. My biggest problem room is the dining room where they once had a bumper that ran around the room. Once removed, the patching was done poorly and it is very obvious that there is a large patch around the entire room.

I have tried evening it out, sanding, priming, etc., but the results are still poor (see enclosed image). No matter what you still see the difference in sheen and texture. My question is, how can I hope to repair this? Do I spackle over the entire wall? Sand the entire room down to a more even surface? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Fixing over-patched walls
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:05:41 PM »
welcome...yes in order to achieve a uniform look you must skim coat the entire wall and then re-texture to your preference...use drywall multipurpose mud ( comes in a 50 lb box) then use drywall topping in a 50 lb box for your desired texture..these work pretty good if you looking at an orange peel or knock down finish https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-520000-Power-Texture-Sprayer/dp/B000I5WAW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502334218&sr=8-1&keywords=wagner+texture drywall mud is about 10 bucks a box   good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
Re: Fixing over-patched walls
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:59:09 AM »
Why don’t you consider taking help from the professionals?
John Reider Properties

anything