Author Topic: texture primer  (Read 5652 times)

Offline worldwins

texture primer
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
I have a friend who has some texture primer left over from a ceiling texturing job. He wants me to use it to prime all the new drywall surfaces in his new home. Since the walls will be receiving a satin finish final coat, I advised him not to use the very thick texture primer on non-texture surfaces, not only because it won't go as far as a thinner primer, but also because it takes on too much of the roller's texture because of its thickness. He is a professional drywaller and insists the texture primer is OK to use on all surfaces. Who's closer to the mark?

the PAINTSMITH

Re: texture primer
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
That depends on what texture the walls will be; knockdown, spatter, orangepeel, skiptrowel, sante fe or smoothwall?

A heavy primer that doesn't lay down and leaves roller stipple won't enhance the look of a smooth wall or sante fe but shouldn't make too much difference on some of the other textures. A small sample in an inconspicuous area or a spare piece of sheetrock might be in order.

The primer can also be thinned if it's that heavy.

...Unless you mean a textured primer. That would be a different animal altogether...

Offline stewartlaura67

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
Hey PAINTSMITH, can you please help with what it could be if the texture is orangepeel.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:13:45 PM »
Hey PAINTSMITH, can you please help with what it could be if the texture is orangepeel.

I'm not sure I get what you're asking. Are your walls orangepeel texture already and you want to prime? I would suggest a quality PVA drywall sealer/primer, rolled with a short nap (no more than 1/2 inch). Keep a good wet edge between corners, primers will often leave lap marks and "heavies" because of the high solids content.

anything