Author Topic: Arborcoat  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Bean

Arborcoat
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »
I have been researching Benjamin Moore Arborcoat.  Somewhere online I came across a comment that the product had been changed sometime after it's introduction.  The comment didn't specify if it was the stain or clear coat component that had been changed.  Does anyone know anything about this suggestion that BM changed the product.  If so any information would be appreciated.

Jared

Re: Arborcoat
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:06:50 AM »
Well, I have not actually used the product, but it's been out since 2010 so it is highly likely that it has been reformulated sometime since its introduction.  I believe you'd be hard pressed to find any coating that has not been reformulated at least once since then, as per the ever-tightening grip of the EPA on the industry.

In general, the manufacturers never (or at least very, very rarely) release any real info on the changes that take place when reformulations occur.  In fact, most often they don't even tell us a reformulation occurred at all - we discover it when we work with it.  You can't fool the folks who use the stuff every day, the pros see & feel the difference.

So, I cannot tell you definitively that it has been reformulated, or in what way.  Pretty much the only one who could tell you this is someone who has been using it for some time & has experienced the reformulation firsthand.  Or maybe a BM rep. 

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.  Maybe someone else here does.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
In general, the manufacturers never (or at least very, very rarely) release any real info on the changes that take place when reformulations occur.

Yep, like when Crawford's Painters Putty changed; No advance word, just a gooey-er noticeably shrinking material that smells more toxic than the original. I called them on it and at first they tried to deny the obvious, then laid it on regulatory dictates. It's still the best I've used, but a far cry from their original formula.

Offline Bean

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  From what I can gather there was a change in the product sometime after launch and I get the impression it was more than a minor tweak but I have no real details.  However it would explain why the deck we did shortly after the product was launched is failing badly but the one we did last year is holding up as well as can be expected.  Normally I wouldn't use a new product of any kind but I had no say in the decision to use Arborcoat.
I will say the dealings I have had with the BM rep has made me reconsider by relationship with the company.  The two other paint suppliers I deal with have always dealt with 'issues' in a forthright manner, not at all the case with the BM rep. 
Thanks again.

Jared

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 03:52:46 PM »
The two other paint suppliers I deal with have always dealt with 'issues' in a forthright manner

Be aware that this is probably more due to luck than a "responsible paint manufacturer" - because there really isn't such a thing.

Getting ANY paint manufacturer to cover ANY kind of problem is rare, at best.  In fact, I'd wager 90% of the times they SHOULD be covering the problem, they simply refuse to do so.  Pretty universally throughout the industry.  Just FYI.