Author Topic: HELP! 3rd coat needed with Pittsburgh Paint.  (Read 7486 times)

Offline Stevie

HELP! 3rd coat needed with Pittsburgh Paint.
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:31:29 AM »
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I've been painting for 8 years and just went out on my own this spring.
I'm currently painting repainted interior walls. In my experience in this situation I have always used 2 coats of Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams and got great results. However, my client is insisting I use Pittsburgh paint. I tried the usual two coats and the cut line is obvious and the paint seems watery. Client is now saying I should have primed first and then one top coat should cover. Its not. I think she thinks she's saving money getting primer (which I had tinted by the way) but the reality is I'm having to do a third coat. Thank goodness I'm charging her hourly. I'm trying to keep my cool but I'm doing the entire three bedroom two bath and finished basement house. Pittsburgh paint is frustrating and making me look bad! I'm not crazy right? Two coats of quality paint is the way to go? She's going with lighter colors than existing. How do I convince her I'm right? Any advice would be so appreciated.

Many thanks.  S

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: HELP! 3rd coat needed with Pittsburgh Paint.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I've been painting for 8 years and just went out on my own this spring.
I'm currently painting repainted interior walls. In my experience in this situation I have always used 2 coats of Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams and got great results. However, my client is insisting I use Pittsburgh paint. I tried the usual two coats and the cut line is obvious and the paint seems watery. Client is now saying I should have primed first and then one top coat should cover. Its not. I think she thinks she's saving money getting primer (which I had tinted by the way) but the reality is I'm having to do a third coat. Thank goodness I'm charging her hourly. I'm trying to keep my cool but I'm doing the entire three bedroom two bath and finished basement house. Pittsburgh paint is frustrating and making me look bad! I'm not crazy right? Two coats of quality paint is the way to go? She's going with lighter colors than existing. How do I convince her I'm right? Any advice would be so appreciated.

Many thanks.  S
she is saving...you and her are both half right,,,2 coats of quality finish is the way to go, but in some cases you need a third and should have recognized it or at least mentioned the possibility...in most cases,  primers seal, block, and adhere better than finishes at a lower price per gallon while adding longevity to the new coatings, depending on the existing  color, and the new color base (neutral, deep, white, etc.), determines the tint of the primer the pro should ask for at the store.....if you dont know....Lol...  someone at the store might...hehe.....im not going to go into the progressions of red to yellows for example or any other path of moving an existing color to new, I'll just say they way you handle your customer is up to you.....after all, your the one that holds the state issued license...making you the licensed pro..you do have a license dont you?
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome mymint87.  Lol. Your feedback was really helpful. Hehe.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome mymint87.  Lol. Your feedback was really helpful. Hehe.
sorry..... welcome, the only reason i ask about the license is because you can kindly/respectfully remind the customer that you are the certified professional...and i emphasize KINDLY....may i remind you that doing so puts the responsibility on you in this particular matter

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »
Don't mind mymint, he has an attitude that is disagreeable. I use PPG paint every day and yes, there are occasions where 3 coats are called for, but very rarely, in my experience. If you are not using at least Manor Hall, then you should be.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 07:10:27 PM »
Don't mind mymint, he has an attitude that is disagreeable. I use PPG paint every day and yes, there are occasions where 3 coats are called for, but very rarely, in my experience. If you are not using at least Manor Hall, then you should be.
lol...you didnt even answer his questions or give opinion on his comments of his beliefs.....lol

that didnt help him out one bit nor did you try and teach him a little ...when i toss someone a bone, its got meat on it, makes em learn a bit....no shame there
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:17:10 PM by mymint87 »

Offline Hangman

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:20:59 PM »
If, on the first coat, you notice that the cut line is obviously lighter than the rolled coat, try cutting twice more before rolling the 2nd coat. After that, make a mental note not to use that particular line of paint again! It's probably not the brand of paint but rather the grade of the paint that is the problem.
A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..........

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 11:26:28 PM »
I use PPG almost exclusively.  Like any company they have several lines of paint.   REcently I had to use the crap that the local "Big Box" store sells and for the first time in my paint life I had to double coat on the same paint color.

So, no, it's not the brand it's probably the line of paint.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 01:46:27 AM »
I use PPG almost exclusively.  Like any company they have several lines of paint.   REcently I had to use the crap that the local "Big Box" store sells and for the first time in my paint life I had to double coat on the same paint color.

So, no, it's not the brand it's probably the line of paint.

Which I already said ;D

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 06:11:07 PM »
The local PPG rep haas been hounding me lately....

I'ma try it on some interiors coming up next month.

My SW rep is gonna be bent!  ;D
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.