Author Topic: Hi, may i introduce "Tales Of The Brush"  (Read 14211 times)

Offline oldhead

Hi, may i introduce "Tales Of The Brush"
« on: August 06, 2013, 02:20:15 AM »
Hello all, i have been a union painter for over 25 years, thanks to my uncle, good guy?  i went through an apprenticeship, and made foremen, not a big deal, but i had enough brains to run crews, and bring jobs in, any hoot, over the years i have had many many funny, strange, sad, happy, wasted off of epoxies,dryfall, oil, polyurethane,zinc, never lead? base products painting moments!
 i am sure i ate some too many over the years, i worked with crazy Mexicans for about 12 years, some of the craziest, hard working dudes, you would ever meet,walking high pipe steel no fall protection, i did say union. for me i had to go hard/fast early, most painters where i worked would try to back stab ya to keep their jobs? i did a lot of stupid stuff, and for a friend i write these stories,  i have many tricks, like most, but if you have ever used  a 4 inch whizz roller over a brush to cut in the side walls, painted signs, ever sprayed 125 gallons of mek oil based black dry fall,let me know.

1987. chicago IL. i was working on higher priced, brand new homes, i had only been painting a few years, 4 things that would stick out on this tale is. first i go on a roof to paint some wood siding, i have a 5 gallon bucket, it had about 4 gallons in it, i had a pot hook on the handle, and attached it to a roof vent, as i turn with my roller, the hook falls off spilling the whole 5er, i cant find the ladder, it was placed on wet ground , i dug it in, but it sunk, so i don't know where it is,   after climbing around the roof, i find it, i could feel the top, but could not see it,after a few minutes i get on the top rung, and descend  down the ladder, i  go tell the guy running the job, this was a brand new roof, with 5 gallons of oil base running down it, the ladder rode the wall a bit, i get down there the dude has no thinner on the job? we have no thinner? needless to say my shop ate that one,
second, this other painter was pulling a drop, and walked off the roof, about 12 feet, he landed on a wood fence, and broke his knee,
third, i was rolling exterior walls, about 15 feet with an extension pole, its a giant pole, so as i was bringing it down, i ran it through a picture window. lol 
fourth, i had a nice 70 skylark, and i drove it to work, i had to move some paint, the interior of the car was dark brown, the paint was pure white, you guessed it 2 gallons open up on the front floor board, i mop up what i can, the only thinner i had was turpentine, which has that deep pine smell, i ended to using a brown oil base, because for some strange reason i didn't think at the time to remove the carpet, just painted it brown, the stuck for years.lol
first tale down more to come when and if i get back!

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Hi, may i introduce "Tales Of The Brush"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 09:29:17 PM »
Hello all, i have been a union painter for over 25 years, thanks to my uncle, good guy?  i went through an apprenticeship, and made foremen, not a big deal, but i had enough brains to run crews, and bring jobs in, any hoot, over the years i have had many many funny, strange, sad, happy, wasted off of epoxies,dryfall, oil, polyurethane,zinc, never lead? base products painting moments!
 i am sure i ate some too many over the years, i worked with crazy Mexicans for about 12 years, some of the craziest, hard working dudes, you would ever meet,walking high pipe steel no fall protection, i did say union. for me i had to go hard/fast early, most painters where i worked would try to back stab ya to keep their jobs? i did a lot of stupid stuff, and for a friend i write these stories,  i have many tricks, like most, but if you have ever used  a 4 inch whizz roller over a brush to cut in the side walls, painted signs, ever sprayed 125 gallons of mek oil based black dry fall,let me know.

1987. chicago IL. i was working on higher priced, brand new homes, i had only been painting a few years, 4 things that would stick out on this tale is. first i go on a roof to paint some wood siding, i have a 5 gallon bucket, it had about 4 gallons in it, i had a pot hook on the handle, and attached it to a roof vent, as i turn with my roller, the hook falls off spilling the whole 5er, i cant find the ladder, it was placed on wet ground , i dug it in, but it sunk, so i don't know where it is,   after climbing around the roof, i find it, i could feel the top, but could not see it,after a few minutes i get on the top rung, and descend  down the ladder, i  go tell the guy running the job, this was a brand new roof, with 5 gallons of oil base running down it, the ladder rode the wall a bit, i get down there the dude has no thinner on the job? we have no thinner? needless to say my shop ate that one,
second, this other painter was pulling a drop, and walked off the roof, about 12 feet, he landed on a wood fence, and broke his knee,
third, i was rolling exterior walls, about 15 feet with an extension pole, its a giant pole, so as i was bringing it down, i ran it through a picture window. lol 
fourth, i had a nice 70 skylark, and i drove it to work, i had to move some paint, the interior of the car was dark brown, the paint was pure white, you guessed it 2 gallons open up on the front floor board, i mop up what i can, the only thinner i had was turpentine, which has that deep pine smell, i ended to using a brown oil base, because for some strange reason i didn't think at the time to remove the carpet, just painted it brown, the stuck for years.lol
lol

i had a tract jack kid going ahead of us caulking door casings and we were rolling walls with flat concentrate behind him....he did the old pee in the empty tube and positioned it in the middle top of a closed door, my coworker opened the door and the pee came down on top of him.....he went outside in 90 degree weather with an inch nap roller and some flat wall and rolled the dudes car...completely...it was dry in 15 minutes

i was spraying 2 component epoxy and oversprayed abrand new 1982 toyota 4x4...realizing what i had done me and my pot tender hurried to wipe it off, tried paint thinner to no avail, then we tried laquer thinner...nothing, so i used some of the thinner for cutting the expoy....whooooosh came right off, so we dumped a bunch on the hood and began to wipe hoping no one would see us......as it dripped down it melted all the plastic away starting with the front grill....needle to say stripped the clear coat too.....
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline Straight Edge Painting

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 06:08:51 PM »
I've had some dark days painting like this too! Make you wonder..lol

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 04:59:06 AM »
Sometimes there is more difficulty then opportunity its true..then it turns...only the strong survive in this business....

House Painters Jacksonville FL

Offline Precision Painting

• Voted Vancouver's #1 Painting Company
    • Vancouver Painters
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 02:11:33 PM »

lol

i had a tract jack kid going ahead of us caulking door casings and we were rolling walls with flat concentrate behind him....he did the old pee in the empty tube and positioned it in the middle top of a closed door, my coworker opened the door and the pee came down on top of him.....he went outside in 90 degree weather with an inch nap roller and some flat wall and rolled the dudes car...completely...it was dry in 15 minutes

i was spraying 2 component epoxy and oversprayed abrand new 1982 toyota 4x4...realizing what i had done me and my pot tender hurried to wipe it off, tried paint thinner to no avail, then we tried laquer thinner...nothing, so i used some of the thinner for cutting the expoy....whooooosh came right off, so we dumped a bunch on the hood and began to wipe hoping no one would see us......as it dripped down it melted all the plastic away starting with the front grill....needle to say stripped the clear coat too.....

OUCH!!!!!
Our business has been servicing Vancouver since 1994. We are dedicated to deliver high quality painting services in the Lower Mainland.

Web: Vancouver Painters

Google+: PrecisionpaintingCa

Offline rimce44

• Painters and Decorators  London
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »
15 inch roller and 3 inch brush...

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 07:22:06 PM »
Is there a 15" roller? Never seen one..

Straight Edge Painting LLC