Author Topic: Apartment Maintenance Painter  (Read 3947 times)

Offline rockysnider

Apartment Maintenance Painter
« on: October 25, 2013, 06:24:55 AM »
Hello I am a maintenance man 12 years and I have recently got a job with a company that does there own painting. Most places sub it out so I have been painting now for about a year and I still do not understand what latex is. I know it is a water based paint but my question is what is the difference between latex and acrylic. Does latex mean water based? Lot to learn.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Apartment Maintenance Painter
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »
Hello I am a maintenance man 12 years and I have recently got a job with a company that does there own painting. Most places sub it out so I have been painting now for about a year and I still do not understand what latex is. I know it is a water based paint but my question is what is the difference between latex and acrylic. Does latex mean water based? Lot to learn.
welcome, basically paints have vehicles (basically think of transporting material or the ability flow out in a thin even film) or binders (basically think of the material after transport to bind and harden through evaporation)vehicles/ binders along with a myriad of other chemicals which server as fillers, dryers etc etc etc....

generally when a painter says latex, that would be an inferior product to acrylic

latex paint.....latex is rubber, used with water combined with acrylic resins as vehicle/binder
acrylic paint....uses 100% acrylic resins as vehicle/binder

both i believe still have water in them, but latex usually can be field thinned as where acrylics should not be field thinned as adding more water to 100% acrylic only breaks down the acrylic which will cause problems with a uniform in color finish or if touch up is needed
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

anything