Author Topic: Best caulk for LP siding?  (Read 23390 times)

Offline allrawpaul

• I'm a llama!
Best caulk for LP siding?
« on: June 07, 2006, 09:41:37 PM »
Whats the best caulk for LP siding that needs to expand and contract, remaining pliable, without getting hard and cracking out.  How long does it need to cure before painting over with latex paint.  THanks, Paul.

the PAINTSMITH

Re:Best caulk for LP siding?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 05:40:08 AM »
LP...You mean the OSB stuff?

I always recommend against using caulking on wood siding, but this plastic stuff, well...As long as it's sealed on all sides...For all the characteristics you're looking for, I'd suggest Vulcem, made by the TremCo company. It's a one-part polyurethane that does everything on your list. Between $4 and $6 a tube, if you can find a dealer. I think Lowe's still carries it. It WON'T tool like latex, just so ya know...

You can paint over Vulcem in about 24 hours, depending on the size of the bead. But beware; A sealant that expands and contracts is all well and good for an expanding joint, but a coat of paint that is as stretchy is a different animal. The caulk joint may not fail, but the paint will still crack...

Good luck

Offline allrawpaul

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 11:57:06 AM »
Thanks Paintsmith.  i wonder what siders use?

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 08:54:42 PM »
My installation crews use Dynaflex 230 acrylic caulk on siding, windows and doors.

You can also use elastomeric caulking. I prefer the Ben Moore elastomerics.

The above caulks require at least 2-4 hours prior to painting.

Just remember. A caulk that you can't tool, will create a mess around windows, doors, siding and other things.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 06:18:45 AM »
Michael, if you're referring to the Vulcem, the product is absolutely perfectly toolable. I said that it does NOT tool like latex. I sealed the siding panels on a mobile home many years ago, then painted it. The caulking never failed, but the paint on the caulk joints needed touched up often. As a commercial caulker I used Vulcem quite often, but predominately on metal and stone; lentils, failed mortice joints @ window frames and entry systems, cinderblock walls to concrete floors, and occasionally trim on homes...

The key on a joint that actually moves is to be able to match the elasticity of the caulking material with an equally or more elastic coating.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 07:50:20 AM »
I'm not referring to the Vulkem. I use it regularly, especially since I'm a stockholder of RPM and their home office is in my town. I used to make a ton of dollars caulking concrete to building joints, coping to mortar, roof flashings, etc.

I'm referring to other imitators, which it's unfair to name but their first initial is O.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Asbestos

• what's in your hair?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 09:12:17 PM »
anyone been using big stretch?
I have used it  a few times,It was all they had in grey at the time, goes on nice, seems real good. but I have not come back 2-3 years later to check on it
"The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts."
  --  Edmund Burke

anything