Author Topic: Painting Mahogany  (Read 12443 times)

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
Painting Mahogany
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:32:08 PM »

I wonder if anybody can help me with this situation. I went to see an exterior job the other day. The old painters have primed the mahogany trim with Benjamin Moore fast drying oil primer and painted it with Moore glo latex. Now, after a year the exterior trim has blisters on it.  The owners have the old painters back to sand the trims to bare wood (for the most part) and they want me to paint it after they are done sanding. There is also a covered porch with Mahogany ceiling that want me to paint as well. The ceiling is mahogany with paint grade trims in between.

Here is what I told them: the blistering problem is weather related and they said the painters were painting when it was really cold.
I also told them that they shouldn’t paint mahogany, but they want it painted and since the trims have still some paint on them we have to paint them as well.

The question is can you stain the mahogany with solid color satin rather the primer and paint? If I have to prime and paint with Benjamin Moore what product would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:Painting Mahogany
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 10:18:25 PM »
My first thought is why on earth would anyone paint mahogany.. :-\

The blisters were caused by moisture, not cold weather. There is a good possibility that the painters applied the paint over wet wood or the wood got very wet shortly after the paint was applied.
For painting, after the strip and prep I would use an exterior oil based primer and a high end acrylic latex finish, not a latex/oil hybrid.

If it is down to bare wood I see no reason that you could not use a high end exterior stain.

Best of Luck
rmichael     pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:43:18 PM »
thanks for your reply,
I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!

Offline WRCLAed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 12:29:11 PM »
One of the primary causes of paint failure is damage from sunlight to the wood before any paint was applied.  How long was the wood left exposed before the prime coat was applied ?  If that photochemical degradation is the causative agent you can examine the paint blisters and see if the wood fibres are attached to the paint that has peeled off.  If they are present on the underside of the peeled paint, then either sunlight, or chemical damage caused by washing the wood with some strong chemical created the problem.  For more information about painting wood consult www.FPL.FS.FED.US.  They know more about wood than anyone on the planet.

Never wash wood with strong concentrations of chemicals prior to painting.  Chlorine Bleach should be diluted as much as possible as it can cause the wood surface to erode long after the paint has dried.

Offline afishinado

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 07:50:11 AM »
Greetings folks.  Newbie here with an old house restoration project about 90% done (after 12 years).  I live in NJ on the water and have a 1931 Sears house...  All cypress siding (which I have had duplicated for additions etc BTW)...
ANYWAY here's my situation;
I rebuilt my livingroom and had mahogany boards milled to 5/8" x 4" with bullnosed edges to place in a radius I cut into the collarties in the ceiling.  They cut them the wrong length and redid the order to the right length.  So I have some 400' of these beautiful boards without a good use...  EXCEPT, for the outside shower..  I would like to use them to make a privacy enclosure around the shower and paint them white.  Been using the Zinseer 'cover all' oil based product on the cypress and did a test board last night...  Seems to not have any bleed thru.  Am I on the right track?

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 08:32:32 PM »
Definitely on the right track... For that app. seal it up (all sides )with the alkyd primer/sealer and use a high end 100% acrylic latex for the top coat.

Best of Luck
rmichael   pro painter
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 08:33:46 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Nicggdepo

Re: Painting Mahogany
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 06:50:06 AM »
Very good and informative exchange .. Thank you!

anything