Author Topic: Tiny speckles, I mean tiny, in my paint  (Read 8806 times)

Offline Painter One

Tiny speckles, I mean tiny, in my paint
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Hi-

I paint a lot of cabinets. I have a new Rack X fine finish tip and it sprays out really nice, but it is leaving tiny specks in the paint. I know the hose I am using is kind of old --I am spraying ProClassic  SemiGloss latex over Zinnsner 1-2-3 premium on some scuff sanded and deglossed fairly new cabinet doors. It was fairly windy and I sprayed outside but not anywhere near any trees. Can you advise me? I am surprised, the finish looks like porcelling except for some tiny bumps or tiny specks, and I see some kind of long tiny ridges in places too, but the doors were smooth.  So far, I plan to sand with a fine pad, or maybe some 500 grit, then reshoot, but maybe its the new tip, I still have the old one but I thought it had to be wallowed out. I thought maybe I should strain the paint and also change the filter, but these specks sure look too small to filter out. But they stick out bad with such a smooth shiny surrounding surface.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Tiny speckles, I mean tiny, in my paint
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »
Spraying outside is not a controlled environment, any type of airborne contaminate can settle on the finish before it dries.
I assume you are using an airless rig, if so strain the paint through a pantyhose or footie and make sure your gun filter matches the tip size, they are color coded.

Best Luck,
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline shanzy

Re: Tiny speckles, I mean tiny, in my paint
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »
Self efforts for painting home is a good habit but make sure all necessary arrangement before starting, this will save you cost and honor ... ;D