Author Topic: efficient way to stain and finish interor trim  (Read 7431 times)

Offline 1959flw

• I'm a llama!
efficient way to stain and finish interor trim
« on: June 20, 2006, 05:18:47 PM »
Hi all, new to the site and need some help. Here's what I got. I'm building my own house and am installing all maple trim and flush birch doors and there is a lot of it. Want to finish with a stain and top coat with clear gloss. I have air and airless equipment plus a brush..... What is the most efficient way to do this with the least amount of steps(working byself). Bugs are a issue where I live so keeping drying time to a minimum is an issue also.What is my best bet for real nice results (not perfect) with all the different materials available, poly's, lacquer's,oils & water base? Thanks for any and all advice.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
Re:efficient way to stain and finish interor trim
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:22:48 PM »
Well if bugs are really that big of an issue, I guess I would opt for lacquer even though that stuff stinks! Wear a mask with fresh filters and keep that mask on tight! The water based clears on the market these days are just not that good IMO so I would stay away from those.  The other bonus to using lacquer is that it is very easy to spray for someone who doesn't have much experience with a sprayer....but man does it stink!

What I do with a stain package is stain as much of the loose trim as I can before install....crown, chair, base, casing, etc.  Then after the carpenters are outta there, I'll come back and finish staining windows, doors, door jambs, staircase, etc.  Then I will prep the house for spray and spray a sealer coat, then putty all nail holes, sand and spray a finish coat.  A lot of painters will spray a sealer coat on the trim before it is hung and even some others will finish it complete before it is hung, but I find that to be a pain....so I just spray it all after it is up.  Both ways work of course so you should probably decide which way would work best for you.  

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:efficient way to stain and finish interor trim
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 10:16:04 PM »
Great advice Carl.... Glad to see you're back...  :)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Paint Works, Inc.

Re: efficient way to stain and finish interor trim
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:51:47 PM »
carl or anyone that would like to help me out, what kind of sealer and varnish or poly do you use when sprayin interior trim and also do you tape off the wall and floor or just the floor? My concern about sprayin finsh after installed has been havin it all over the walls. Do you spray windows or do you do them by hand. I know how to spray, just not sure how to prep windows, trim etc.. after installation.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »
Paint Works,
I think you got lost in the mix....  :-\

Spray out the trim first. Start by masking around the window and door trim, over the baseboards and under the crown molding with a paper&tape system. If the windows have false mullions (grills) remove and mask off the sash glass and tracks . If it is an unfinished floor remove any dust that is near the baseboards, if the floor is finished tape it off. Spray the trim with a sanding type sealer, use a spray shield at the top of the crown (at the ceiling line). knock down (sand) the trim with 220 grit ( fine sponge), dust out and tack off with a tack cloth. Spray out the finish poly in the same way you did the sealer.

When the trim is completely dry, mask all finished trim and spray wall and ceiling primer. Finish spray the ceiling. Finish spray the walls, even with a masked crown it is a good idea to use a spray shield at the finished ceiling line when spraying walls.

Hope this Helps
rmichael
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 05:08:20 PM by rmichael »

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:28:28 PM »
I think I better say this again-

Many sterate based sanding sealers ( the ones that feel soapy when you sand them) are not compatable with a poly top coat. The poly will not adhear and get cloudy. Read the cans, ask the dealers to stear you to the right combo.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 10:36:48 PM »
Good point Brush Jockey, there has been a lot of confusion about different types of sanding sealers. The ones that contain Zinc Stearate should not be used under any coating that contains Urethane binders, including polyurethane clears. Many coatings companies suggest using only their "matched" sealer/finish systems, however, It is my understanding that the "matched" sealer is nothing more than a thinned version of the finish. A "shop sealer" can be made by cutting the poly by one to three parts thinner to one part finish, but I would never recommend that since all poly labels read "Thinning is not recommended" ...  ;)

rmichael

anything