Author Topic: new construction estimating  (Read 10880 times)

Offline Artisan J

• I'm a painting BEAST !
new construction estimating
« on: June 21, 2006, 08:54:46 PM »
Dear all, I am doing a bid for a local builder on the exterior trim(fascias, soffits, window casings, porch pillars, etc.) and am interested in how you guys bid exterior trim jobs that are new construction. I am familiar with bidding for the interiors but not the exteriors as far as square footage bidding. What do you charge for exterior square footage? or would you bid on the ext. trim by actual square footage rather than floor square footage?

I know areas differ, but am willing for any advice! thanks so much.
This site rocks!!!
"God loved the world in this way; He sent His only first born son into the world that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life!" -John 3:16

the PAINTSMITH

Re:new construction estimating
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 06:36:03 AM »
I never bid new construction anymore; it" a financial suicide move for me. I get a lot of calls from builders who can't get their painters to come back or aren't keeping up with the schedule (I assume because the painter underbid and has reached the point of saturation and has begun to lose money), and I charge them on a stiff time & material basis and tell them that the first time a check is not received within one week of submission of the bill, don't bother to call me again...I do not trust generals (in general ;D), at least around here...

When I did bid new, back in the day, it was easiest having a set rate per sq. ft of liveable, plus a linear footage rate for chair rail, crown, etc...I've known so many painters who lost their butts by bidding from prints--YA GOTTA GO LOOK AT THE HOUSE!!!! Exterior was the same, I based my price on interior liveable sq ftage. I don't remember what those rates were...That was a lifetime ago...

...BTW, a "set rate" would be different for different types of builds, such as large oppulent customs or tract-style ranches, etc...

Good luck

Offline Artisan J

• I'm a painting BEAST !
Re:new construction estimating
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:43:25 PM »
thanks for the advice. but, does anyone have any guidance as far as how much to charge per sq. ft for ext trim and siding jobs on a three unit condo with interior floor square footage of approximatley 3000 square foot? thanks...
"God loved the world in this way; He sent His only first born son into the world that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life!" -John 3:16

Offline Johnkhelas33

Re: new construction estimating
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 01:12:01 AM »
I never bid new construction anymore; it" a financial suicide move for me. I get a lot of calls from builders who can't get their painters to come back or aren't keeping up with the schedule.

Offline airclay

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 11:01:18 AM »
homewyse.com is a great tool for finding the high and low rates on jobs buy the zip code they're located in

Offline Precision Painting

• Voted Vancouver's #1 Painting Company
    • Vancouver Painters
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »
homewyse.com is a great tool for finding the high and low rates on jobs buy the zip code they're located in

Does it work for Canada Aswell? I gotta check it out then.
Our business has been servicing Vancouver since 1994. We are dedicated to deliver high quality painting services in the Lower Mainland.

Web: Vancouver Painters

Google+: PrecisionpaintingCa

Offline 1st Coast Painting

• 1st Coast Painting & more inc
    • House Painters
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 08:23:32 AM »
I run from new construction. You will work 7 days a week to keep up with schedule, go back out the same house multiple times(no extra pay), pay sux and slow. General contractors will most likely screw you over 1 way or another. Does he only want the trim painted because the home is brick, vynal, or some other surface that is not supposed to painted; or because he wants one of his in house guys to go spray the house out and live the precise work to an actual painter. If it is option 2, then run. The G.C. is cheap and will screw you out of the pennies he was supposed to pay you for.
commercial painters
commercial painting
Done right the 1st time! www.1stcoastpainting.com
<a href="http://1stcoastpainting.com">house painters</a>

Offline soperfectpaint

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 01:02:31 AM »
Thanks for such an important advice.There are number of tools available on internet to check the rates according to per square feet.

www.soperfectpaint.com

Offline facembani223

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »
I get a lot of calls from builders who can't get their painters to come back or aren't keeping up with the schedule.