Author Topic: new doors are pealing  (Read 15476 times)

Offline mushyfoot

new doors are pealing
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:04:35 PM »
OK so I have a problem and am looking for some advice.  I have been painting for a nonprofit that receives donated items from Home Depot.  They recently installed a door that I had to paint tan to match the rest of the doors. I had put on the first coat and was due to come back for the 2ND (busy office door) when they told me that the door is pealing and chips when you scratch it with your fingernail.  This shouldn't happen with a primed door but when I asked for information on the door no-one can help me.  I can't even get an invoice to find out what kind of material it is.   I have to go back and take a look at it but I'm wondering how the best way to fix this would be...Should I strip the entire door down and start over with a rough sand and oil primer just to be sure?  Or should I sand and just put on a couple more coats.  Honestly there is no way of knowing how many times people touched the doors even with the wet paint signs up.  I had one of the employees cleaning the handles as a stepped back to take a final look. I wanted to slap his hands.  They knew this door had to be painted so I'm not sure why they wouldn't make sure it could be when they got it.  Thoughts?  I really don't want to turn a single door job into a 2-3 day event.

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
Re: new doors are pealing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:56:48 AM »
Hey, I found this article. I hope it will help you.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-paint-peeling-off-doors-37490.html
John Reider Properties

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:38:12 PM »
OK so I have a problem and am looking for some advice.  I have been painting for a nonprofit that receives donated items from Home Depot.  They recently installed a door that I had to paint tan to match the rest of the doors. I had put on the first coat and was due to come back for the 2ND (busy office door) when they told me that the door is pealing and chips when you scratch it with your fingernail.  This shouldn't happen with a primed door but when I asked for information on the door no-one can help me.  I can't even get an invoice to find out what kind of material it is.   I have to go back and take a look at it but I'm wondering how the best way to fix this would be...Should I strip the entire door down and start over with a rough sand and oil primer just to be sure?  Or should I sand and just put on a couple more coats.  Honestly there is no way of knowing how many times people touched the doors even with the wet paint signs up.  I had one of the employees cleaning the handles as a stepped back to take a final look. I wanted to slap his hands.  They knew this door had to be painted so I'm not sure why they wouldn't make sure it could be when they got it.  Thoughts?  I really don't want to turn a single door job into a 2-3 day event.
water based finishes take at the minimum 1 week to fully harden, but you have a door that is subject to heavy usage constantly.....hmmm,

so many variables...really need more info...if the door was primed then left outside or exposed for a lengthy time could be one of many problems... ....

let me just say....if you want to check on the existing finish and why your topcoat is not sticking, take some alcohol on a rag and wipe the existing finish, if the pigment does not come off on the rag then you have an some type of solvent based coating and that could be the reason for the lack of adhesion on your topcoat...

solvent primers in this case might disturb the occupants so i would get a good water primer, a zinnser product and lightly sand the areas, then 2 coat the primer and let dry overnight, then double coat the finish, find some way to prop the door open so it will cut down on the usage...
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline Straight Edge Painting

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:11:17 AM »
Sound like a latex over oil issue.  Was it a metal door?

exterior painting ponte vedra beach fl

Offline welovepainting

• Team Jaworski - "We Paint The Town"
    • Jaworski Painting
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:42:56 AM »
That's what I'm thinking latex over oil. 

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 05:02:12 PM »
It is also 6 months old ::)

Offline soperfectpaint

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 02:32:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing this useful link really helpful for my business.

www.soperfectpaint.com

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 09:52:29 PM »

Hey, how is it now? What option did you choose?
John Reider Properties

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 05:13:29 AM »
It was YEARS ago, I don't think you will get an answer