Author Topic: What's your favorite brush?  (Read 14904 times)

Offline Nickthepainter

What's your favorite brush?
« on: April 08, 2015, 02:42:21 AM »
My favorite brush for cutting in a general bedroom is a 3" corona Ryan or a 3"Wooster FTP chinex. Both are chinex bristle and put out a decent amount of paint. I'd like to know based on cut line, production and durability. The FTP doesn't seem to be as durable but puts out much more production when it's new, should I be using a sav a brush wash once a month or just bypass the extra step and get new ones. It's cheaper than my time. But I digress. What's your favorite company of the main three (Purdy, Wooster , or corona) or do you know of another company I don't. I work out of portland oregon.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: What's your favorite brush?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:39:26 PM »
My favorite brush for cutting in a general bedroom is a 3" corona Ryan or a 3"Wooster FTP chinex. Both are chinex bristle and put out a decent amount of paint. I'd like to know based on cut line, production and durability. The FTP doesn't seem to be as durable but puts out much more production when it's new, should I be using a sav a brush wash once a month or just bypass the extra step and get new ones. It's cheaper than my time. But I digress. What's your favorite company of the main three (Purdy, Wooster , or corona) or do you know of another company I don't. I work out of portland oregon.
the best for production is a 5" block brush and it cuts the best line too......after 36 years of painting I go buy the best "bang for my buck", after all, it's not the brush that determines the quality of your finish or the clean lines....usually if a small company puts up a counter display in my local paint stores, i can pick one up for free based on the amount of my yearly purchases with the paint store.....im done with washing brushes towards the ferrule with my hands and the standard 3 wash code....i dont dive into paint or cleanout washes any more than i have too....i only wire brush and spin, and when the brush wears out its gone, buy a new one...typically a brush lasts me 2 months, but again, Im not into leaving a huge eviromental footprint by continually washing out a brush i can buy for under 10 bucks, or even under 20 for that matter....these guys sell a good 3 in oval i have been happy with and although bristle length has a direct bearing on paint flow, these arent the longest bristles that are sold....but hey, under 10 bucks wth....and they also still sale 5" blocks for production http://www.thepaintstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=proform+brush&Search.x=13&Search.y=14&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=proform+brush&utm_content=Quality+Proform+Brushes&utm_campaign=TPS+Proform+Brushes&gclid=CIXtorDe6cQCFQqVfgodiZIASg
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
heres the 3 inch brushes i buy http://www.thepaintstore.com/Proform_Contractor_Straight_Oval_Brushes_p/cos.htm

and here are some straights http://www.thepaintstore.com/Proform_Contractor_Straight_Beaver_Tail_Brushes_p/cbs.htm

like i said, 8 to 10 bucks and they work great

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
one more thing, both pics on the web site are 2 inch brushes, the 3 inch has an extra rivet in the ferrule which is important especially with the oval ferrule...i hate floppy shyte whether it be the roller pole connection to the roller frame or the cheater/brush.....must of my brush work is done by cheater for ease/no bending over and extra reach

Offline repairsandpaints

• Repairs and Paints LLC - House Painting
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 07:22:32 AM »
Purdy makes a very good brush and the blue bristled firm lasts a while.
But my favorite brush may be the Wooster Pro 2-1/2 in. Nylon/Polyester Angle Sash Brush.
This brush holds a ton of paint, glides forever, and washes out like new over and over.
Wooster makes the best brushes
repairsandpaints

Offline thomasdfree

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 05:49:18 PM »
I have been using the Wooster silver tip 2 1/2 inch angled brush to do all my interior wall cuts this past winter and I'm very pleased with the results.  Able to easily pull long straight lines time and time again.  Some people complain it's too stiff but I personally like the stiffness of it and it cleanes out super easy and looks brand new every time.  I bought 2 of them last September,  used them all winter ( Vermont winters are long :) and they both are still in excellent condition.  Best of all they are wicked cheap.  Very very good bang for your buck. 

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 08:19:55 PM »
For me the Silver Tip gets a bit too soft after extended use, today's paints seem to work better with a stiffer brush that will maintain it's shape. The Wooster FTP is a great brush for general work or to pull a line with, I use the 2 1/2" straight cut . The FTP is pricy compared to the Silver Tip but IMO worth the difference.  BTW FTP mean "For Today's Paints"  ;)

Best Luck
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline layryan88

• Serving DFW since 1994
    • www.PurPaintingDFW.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 01:39:43 PM »
i love the  3in Purdy xl for walls and the softer 3in purdy for trim.
Just get the paint on walls

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 03:09:23 AM »
i love the  3in Purdy xl for walls and the softer 3in purdy for trim.
Just get the paint on walls

Purdy  USED to be a fine brush, not so much any more

Offline layryan88

• Serving DFW since 1994
    • www.PurPaintingDFW.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 06:37:52 PM »
i have to admit i have been using Wooster brushes lately

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 02:05:09 AM »
much better

Offline airclay

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 09:08:32 PM »
Im not into leaving a huge eviromental footprint by continually washing out a brush i can buy for under 10 bucks

really? so the manufacturing of the brush itself doesn't matter? you could wash a brush out 100x extra than you normally would and it wouldn't touch the environmental impact of the manufacturing (not even considering the shipping) of the two or three extra brushes you'd go through in the same time.

personally tho I've been into the 3" woosters lately as well

Offline davidwatson697

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 04:55:11 AM »
Choosing the correct paintbrush is as difficult as choosing the correct paint for the walls.However, using some tips, we can choose the right paint brush easily like a professional painter. The first thing that we need to check in the paint brush is its bristles, second brush width, shape of the bristles, and choose the right bristle tip.  ;)

Offline sanin

• Photo to painting | Oil paintings from photos by PaintYourLife
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 04:30:56 AM »
I prefer Proform Professional Angled Ergonomic Brushes
Oil paintings from photos by PaintYourLife - paintyourlife.com

Offline Precision Painting

• Voted Vancouver's #1 Painting Company
    • Vancouver Painters
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 01:14:47 PM »
i have to admit i have been using Wooster brushes lately

I use Wooster paint brush's aswell and the corona...
Our business has been servicing Vancouver since 1994. We are dedicated to deliver high quality painting services in the Lower Mainland.

Web: Vancouver Painters

Google+: PrecisionpaintingCa