Author Topic: Questions & comments  (Read 5677 times)

Offline redjpang

Questions & comments
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »
Hello again,
As I have stated in my introduction, I have read many posts in your history.  Many people have come on here and ask you how to bid when starting out.  So, I will not ask you that because it has been covered very well. 
You have made it clear that the Big Box stores paint is not as good as they advertise, but you explain why that is so.  I think my learning curve through your knowledge is growing fast.
Many discusions on brushes and roller sleeves and that is just something I will need to decide on through trial and error, kinda of like choosing a putter for golf.  There are thousands of different ones and you gave to decide for yourself.
My first questions is about Binders and thinners.  I have never thinned my paint with water or anything else.  I was taught that it put to thin of a coat on the walls.
Binders?  Never heard of them. 
Since I have not been doing this professionally all these years, and I've noticed that some painters provide bids with a good, better, best quote, I was just wondering what that exactly pans out to.
1) good, better, best Paint   or
2)Good, better, best prep

Some people I know would rather you
a) clean Walls and stick on paint.==Good     or

b) Sand, patch nail holes, clean walls and paint=Better     or

c)  Blend in patches, fix blemishes, plaster any and all holes, sand smooth, clean and paint  =  Best

Do I have this correct.   

Sorry for the length,  I am just so happy to find people willing to help newbies. ;D

Jared

Re: Questions & comments
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
Welcome!

As far as thinning and binders - as I understand paint chemistry, binders are part of the makeup of the paint.  I have never had a need to seek a binder additive product of any kind, so I don't really know if they exist or not. 

If you've never thinned your water-based paints, you're clearly a brush-and-roller guy.  Most off the shelf paints are too thick to put through an airless and require significant thinning with water.  But I do suggest you get yourself a bottle of XIM Latex Extender and try it out - I was a convert from the first time, and I use it on almost every job now for years.

Personally, I don't offer tiered pricing for the client to choose from - I build my bid upon the specifics of the job at hand, based on what the client wants balanced against my opinion of "the right way to do it".  I find it to be far simpler to just offer one price for the job done as it should be - or run for the hills before getting into a problem situation or an unsuitable job.

And remember, in this business, reputation is everything - one is only as good as their last job AND their worst job.  Don't cut corners which could result in future problems and thus negatively affect reputation.  A good rule of thumb is to only take jobs you're comfortable honoring a warranty on.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »
Welcome!

I have never had a need to seek a binder additive product of any kind, so I don't really know if they exist or not. 

You've never used Emulsabond?

Jared

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »
Not available in my area.  I might have used it a few times many years ago back east, the label looks familiar.  As a 100% interior guy, I really have no need for E-B.

Offline mistcoat

• Before & After Painting Company
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »
We have E-B in the UK. It is the business on chalky surfaces. Use it a lot on exteriors.
I have also used it with wallpaper paste (Solvite) flakes)

Happy Days!!!

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
Mist- what kind of muck do you blend up with EB and paste?  What do you do with the stuff, bake it into bricks?  ??? ???
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline mistcoat

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »
Mist- what kind of muck do you blend up with EB and paste?  What do you do with the stuff, bake it into bricks?  ??? ???
Generally I'd just use it on exteriors, mix it in with paint and it is a great stabiliser/binder.

Tried it on a dodgy walls ages ago and rather than sealing them, mixed the E-B in with the Solvite paste (as per the destructions). It helps to pull the material i.e. paint or paste thru into the substrate. Only for water based products.
An oil based additive of the equivalent is Owatrol Oil.
I get it from HERE, but the UK branch.
Cannot remember if you allow links, so please remove if the link if necessary 

I also have it on my Weetabix in the morning instead of milk!  ;D
Happy Days!!!

Offline mistcoat

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:55:42 PM »
I must say, that adding the E-B into the paste does make a smell that isn't foul, but one that I could do without smelling on interiors for a full day.

Another thing, I have only added E-B to paste when applying lining paper, I believe you folks use the term Blankstock. Correct me if I am wrong on that term.
Bearing in mind too BJ, Solvite is a large amount of water then the flakes added, so it won't bake to bricks  ;D
That Solvite bag image, you would add about 7-8 litre of water too. I think!
It's funny, it's all so second nature I tend not to pay so much attention.
Happy Days!!!

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »
As far as I know- EB is a oil/water hybrid that is used primarily exterior to add adhesion. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what is being accomplished  with paste.  You use it on stucco or something that needs more stick?

BTW- Eb, H2O and paint make a pretty nice pickeling wash for int tongue and groove...
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

anything