Author Topic: How much to pay employees?  (Read 14989 times)

Offline allrawpaul

• I'm a llama!
How much to pay employees?
« on: July 05, 2006, 09:39:23 PM »
How much do you pay greenhorn painters?  My nephew is working for me(he has a lot to learn) and I have no clue what the going rate is.  Thanks for any comments! Paul.

Offline MacPaint

• Contracting is "Paint by Numbers"
Re:How much to pay employees?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 07:06:18 AM »
It depends on your location.

When my newbs start, they are paid the average rate of a one-bedroom apartment in town. For example, in my area, it'll cost a single adult approx. $400 p/wk. ($10 p/hr) this means they make $1600 per mo. -- or   their cost for shelter is 1/4th of their total income.

When they show enthusiasm, willingness to learn and are prompt, I will kick them up to $12. This allows them to live better than a fast food server or Walmart cashier.
Later, when they have shown they can scale ladders, are careful and neat, I will pay $12.50, or $100 p/day. This allows them to live pretty well and even support a wife and 1-2 kids.

Experienced painters start at $15-17 here. I pay my foremen $20-22 per with performance bonuses.

Mac
 8)
The test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves.
                     -Logan Pearsall Smith

Offline Jason Johnson

Re: How much to pay employees?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:43:18 PM »
what would you consider to be an "experienced painter?
I have been painting in the u.s and canada for 3 years, and have done quite a bit of stuff...commercial, residencial,and whatever....I can only seem to get $12 an hour out of employers around here! I can cut, and roll very well! I have done cinderblock,drywall,redos,and exteriors. I wonder if thats all I can hope for a wage. :-[
personally I think I deserve more.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 06:00:10 AM »
Well Jason if you're in the north-central part of the continent, I'm afraid that $12/hr is going to be hard to rise above, at least until the status quo changes...If you're in urban areas like Detroit or Mineapolis the chances of a better wage are there, but that would have union affiliations attached in many cases...I've rarely seen a 3-year painter make much more than $12...

...A few years ago I was considering putting on a couple of crews and had decided that if I were to do so I didn't want a bunch of slop-monkeys that I'd have to babysit all day, every day...So I figured that I'd start my guys at $14-15/hr, hence attracting better painters from established companies (doesn't WalMart do that?)...My loving bride the accountant showed me the financial errors of my ways, that though an employed painter may well be worth that much (or more), my business could not support it without a major hike in rates...Not to mention that status quo I mentioned earlier...There's an unspoken (or perhaps spoken, depending on who you pal around with) rule that you don't compete upwards with wages across the board. There are always other variables, but it boils down to this; Don't expect to make better wages working for someone else without proving that you're worth it to them, and then don't expect it anyway...

Offline Jason Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »
Thanx for the sound advise! I REALLY appreciate it.   I am going to use this next year to learn as much as I can about the business . Then, I'm going with my own outfit. I know I can do it, AND not tank in the first year if I do my research. This board is a great place to start! thx again!

Offline Paint Mode

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 09:54:30 PM »
Basics of how I do it.

Complete noob, good for laying floors, masking, and getting stuff for painters=   $10
The same noob, looking out for my best interests in the job, competent in rolling=  $12
Same noob, all the above, and can cut a room nicely in less than 80 days=  $13-$15
Real painters that you don't have to double check their work= $17-$20
Someone showing up for a paycheck= $hit out of luck.  :D

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 10:02:58 PM »
thats a good one. Especially the last line ! ;D

lynjo
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:05:55 PM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Mattie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 07:39:22 AM »
Up here in Canada, I started my painting "career" 10 years ago at $8.00/hr. As the years progressed I turned into the cut-in girl, with the guys rolling behind me. (I'm sure it's because I'm not an alcoholic and had the steadiest hand  ;D) Anyway, have gotten very fast at it. By the time I quit, last year, I was making $17.00/hr, guys are making $20.00. Ex-boss still doesn't speak to me, can't imagine who's shaking their way through those houses now, but I know things have slowed down.  ;)

Mattie

Offline Jason Johnson

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 03:13:32 PM »
wow mattie! you sound like an awesome painter!
where are you anyway? I am from saskatoon.
anyway, so even though I may be able to cut a great line  quickly , and roll out like a demon. If I am not with my current boss for a long time, I cannot expect over $12 an hour?

Offline Mattie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 03:59:27 PM »
Hi Jason, I'm on Vancouver Island. I don't know how things are in Sask., but if you go out on your own surely you can make more than $12/hr. I prefer to bid on the job at hand, rather than an hourly rate. I am super organized and once I step foot onto the jobsite I don't stop till quitting time. Eat lunch while I'm cutting in (if I take anY), and only have a break (if you can it that) if the client needs to speak to me. Time is money and if I worked by the hour I wouldn't make out as well. Course, some of those bids I've goofed up on...so it has been a learning curve. :o

Mattie

Offline Jason Johnson

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 04:41:59 PM »
cool! thanx for the response mattie! we should chat. msn me at sonovah@hotmail.com

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 04:42:33 PM »
wow mattie! you sound like an awesome painter!
where are you anyway? I am from saskatoon.
anyway, so even though I may be able to cut a great line  quickly , and roll out like a demon. If I am not with my current boss for a long time, I cannot expect over $12 an hour?
Jason, the application of paint is only a small piece of the pie when you talk about being a good painter. You also need to know the hows, whys, wheres, whens, etc. I could teach a monkey to cut/roll, but will it know how specific paints need to be applyed and when? How to prep for a paint job? How to sell a paint job? Learn the whole spectrum, and you'll be worth much more money.

Offline Jason Johnson

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 08:05:19 PM »
If I knew all that, I would have started my own outfit already!

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 10:21:54 AM »
Jason,

Once you have acquired such a skill and knowledge level that the boss feels comfortable saying " Jason, here are the job specs, you can talk to the homeowner about the colors and sheen, go get what you need and do it."
At that point it's time to start thinking about getting rid of the boss.

Don't take offence to any advice you receive on the forum. Most of us have been there, and all of us have paid some dues..  ;)

Best of Luck
rmichael   pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Jason Johnson

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 10:49:48 AM »
oh don't get me wrong! I really appreciate the advise!
I'm just really excited about taking the next step in my carreer!
I know thre still is a LOT to learn! :P

anything