Author Topic: Why is my spray gun spitting?  (Read 21733 times)

Offline allrawpaul

• I'm a llama!
Why is my spray gun spitting?
« on: July 05, 2006, 09:42:04 PM »
It sprays fine, but when I release the trigger, it spits little drops onto the siding.   How do I stop it? Thanks very much!

Offline Clay

Re:Why is my spray gun spitting?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 05:49:53 PM »
If you only have a spray gun without an extention on your hose you either have dirt (dried paint??) or something that is keeping the seal from seating properly. Just a matter of cleaning it. There is also an adjustment on the back of most guns usually best left alone after the gun has been packed but you might need to readjust that. If you have some kind of extention on the gun before the tip air will get trapped and you can spray 10 gallons and it will still be there and still causing spits. To solve that you need to take the tip off the extention and pump paint through the extention without any restrictions. Replace the tip and it should be good to go.
good Luck

Offline hayseed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:35:42 PM »
I had a similar problem with my Graco.  It spat when I first pulled the trigger (at the beginning of each spray).

The local Graco rep advised me to clean the filter that is at the hose inlet, inside the sprayer.  You take off the hose and then unscrew the piece that fits between the hose and sprayer body.  There is a mesh filter there.

It worked for me.

Good luck.

Dallas

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 07:58:23 AM »
Too low of pressure will also cause the needle to fail. The older Graco Contractor guns had a PITA needle setup, and if you over tightened the setting you wound up with a bent needle assembly that would never seat again...Try turning the pressure up a smidge at a time and see if there's a "sweet spot"...It will usually help with tip-fingering too...

Good luck

Offline hayseed

• I'm a llama!
Re: Why is my spray gun spitting?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 05:20:15 PM »
Uh Oh,

The spitting problem has flared up on us again.  After we meticulously cleaned the gun and filters, it continued to spit at the start and stop of each spray.  Sent one of the boys down to Home Depot to buy a rebuild kit for the gun, only to find out that they had discontinued Graco and switched to Titan.....

Anyway, we replaced the innards of the gun, cleaned everything again, and the gun continued to spit at all pressure settings.  We pulled our hair out all day long.  Ended up with the worst spray job we've ever done.  What made us all so frustrated is that we were painting one of the best custom cabinet jobs we've ever built.  It really took the satisfaction out of it.

I don't understand it.  Does anyone have any more info on this problem, please please please?

Dallas

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 06:17:21 PM »
Dallas, is it a Graco? CALL THE COMPANY and explain the problem. They don't need bad word-of-mouth, it's in their best interest to help you...

...And keep us posted!

Offline newhomepainting

my home depot XR7 graco does this
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 09:55:43 PM »
I belive its air in the line and usually happens right at the beginning.  Try and get paint through the lines and gun first.  Its caused me alot of bad language lol your pressure could be low also.  Im a huge fan of extensions and run 3 footers even for flat easy work, gets me away from the paint cause im not wearing glasses lol i take the pain.

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 11:30:54 PM »
Did you ever fix your problem hayseed?
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

Offline cdownen1

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 12:11:28 AM »
we have the same problem. Use a HVLP but it is hard to beat an airless.  our new machine spits. don't know?

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 09:45:17 PM »
Check for an obstruction or wear in the needle seat. The gun is not giving a clean material shut off, it only takes a millisecond delay in material shut off to cause spitting.

Best Luck
rmichael    pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

anything