Author Topic: paint not adhering to wall  (Read 19342 times)

Offline witsend

• I'm a llama!
paint not adhering to wall
« on: July 19, 2006, 04:45:09 PM »
Help!  I have a bathroom that had new greenback drywall installed.  A skim coat of joint compound was applied over the drywall.  A primer was not applied.  Two coats of satin latex paint were applied.  The painting was finished approximately one month ago.  Anywhere the wall gets nicked I can take my fingernail and pull the paint right off the wall.  Underneath the paint is a white layer.  I can lightly scratch this white layer with my fingernail and dust comes off.  I assume this is joint compound.  I showed this problem to the contractor.  He said semi-gloss paints will do this.  I then showed him the can of paint he used which is clearly marked satin.   At the same time this bathroom was being painted, I myself painted another room in my house.  I used the same brand and same sheen level of paint as was used in the bathroom.  The room I did already had paint on the walls and I did not apply a primer before I put on my new paint color.  The paint in the room I painted does not come off the wall.  I have used this same brand and sheen level of paint in other rooms of my house and do not have this problem.  What do you think is going on in my bathroom?

Jared

Re:paint not adhering to wall
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:00:29 PM »
I believe your problem is the lack of primer on the fresh drywall/mud...  many paints have trouble sticking to unprimed new walls.  I actually go so far as to get primer specifically formulated for raw drywall for this purpose.

Your solution?  ummm, not sure.  A few ways I'd try attacking this come to mind, but let's allow the more experienced folk here take a stab.  ;)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:paint not adhering to wall
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 08:03:44 PM »
whit~

The problem is probably related to an extended cure time for the latex paint. Green board is moisture resistant so the moisture that is slowly evaporated during the paint's "cure" is concentrated in the paint film. The Bath's environment ( showers etc.) can also extend the paint's cure time.
I would not have skipped the primer, but at this point give the paint a few more weeks of curing before you throw the paint brush at the contractor...  :)

Hope this Helps
rmichael    pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
Re: paint not adhering to wall
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 06:49:05 PM »
A skim coat of joint compound was applied over the drywall.  A primer was not applied. 

I do know on rare occasions , I have seen when there wasn't a primer used and with the chalkiness from the mud , dust, etc.   I have definitely seen paint that won't adhere and will pull up as you have indicated,  especially when the walls were taped and you begin to remove the tape and   gosh darn,  here comes the paint right down to the substrate and you can even see the chalkiness on the back of the tape.

Yeah,  I would definitely be getting back with the contractor that did your painting and I would be darn tootin upset.
Much luck and hope you end up with a beautiful room  :)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:12:49 PM »
I second the vote that it was dust/chalk that prevented adhesion. Not to mention a primer should have been used, but still think the drywall debris is the main reasn for failure here. Solution? Remove as much as possible of hte failing paint by mechanical means IE scrape it off. Then lock the remaining down with a slow-drying long oil. Then skimcoat uneven areas, and clean/prime. If you feel lucky, you could possibly try lock down the failing layer with a DRC, like DrawTite or Gardz, rather than the oil.

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »
witsend i feel your pain. all the posts here contain great solutions for your problem.
i would like to share an experience of mine with you.
my buddy john called me up and asked me to come over and help him paint his newborns room.so i said ok
and headed over. i had john paint the ceiling with a roller while i worked on the wall damage. after he
finished the ceiling we took a break to eat. when we went back to the room every place where there was
drywall the paint was cracking and peeling before our eyes. we couldn't believe it. i immediately came to the conclusion that when the room was assembled the worker whose job was to finish sand the ceilings
and walls forgot to dust/vacuum trhe surfaces prior to priming.
just thought i'd share that with you. :o

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:45:07 AM »
I personnally won't take chances with high moisture areas. I use an oil  bonding primer and sometimes even an oil finish, but ALWAYS the oil primer in baths...

anything