Author Topic: hardiplank repaint.  (Read 5429 times)

Offline Asbestos

• what's in your hair?
hardiplank repaint.
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:38:09 PM »
I have a large job (commercial) that is hardiplank about 7 years old. The original paint is fading badly but is well attached. would a basic pressure wash be good enough as prep? A buddy said used bleach/jomax but there is no mildew/mold/moss to speak of except for some spots on the trim. I want this to look really good and last a long time,
as more then usual, this job will be a personal reflection on me  I bid figuring on using SW A-100 but also kind of planned on BM super spec. this same buddy is tring to talk me in to going with full on BM. I told him you come up with the extra $50 a 5
Everyone here seems to be a big BM fan, so how does Super spec compare?  If it is  worth it I will spring for top of the line.
Much Thanks
"The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts."
  --  Edmund Burke

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: hardiplank repaint.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 12:30:26 AM »
Drop some TSP in the bleach, sometimes mildew is hard to see until you hit it with the soaker. The tsp will help remove the chalk and dirt.
Use the high end products, the job will go smoother, the results will be better, and your reputation will be enhanced...  ;)

Best of Luck
rmichael   pro painter 

PS.. on the next one figure the high end paint in the quote...  :)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline newhomepainting

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 09:30:08 AM »
wouldnt a light quick shot of water base primer be a good idea?  I live in the desert so mildew and humidity isnt a factor. Most painters dont use primer on hardi, infact yesterday my hardi installers where busting a move getting my new home done.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 07:04:31 PM »
I wouldn't use anything but Duration on fibercement siding.

IMO it's the best coating for that product that's applied in the field.

I've done 2 houses for friends who have resided with Weatherboards. It's a beautiful thing.

As  Michael says, you want this job to enhance your reputation and it will if you use the quality coatings. I recommend making the dollar sacrifice and get the acclaim. In the long run, you're be a richer man.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

anything