Author Topic: Painting our new spec home 3800finished sqft what primer and paint to use  (Read 4365 times)

Offline newhomepainting

Ok ive used the cheapest paint homedepot carries first i started with gliddens $29 pva and $29 5gallon house paint which doesnt cover anything so basicaly any paints an upgrade.  I stepped up to glidden ultrahide paints $75 for five gallon which spray pretty good.  Im thinking about Kwall howells paints the contractor grade they say it would cost $75ish and $40ish for the pva.  Any good choices of primers and paint for new construction with holly smooth textured walls?  I looked at benjamin moore paint other day they want like $30 a gallon for the better stuff and $50 for the newest paints that dont require primers.

Offline Fred

Well without opening an account your not going to get ant great deals at a paint store, which depending on your situation may be a good idea (how many homes are you doing )But if your going to do the Big box paint I can reccomend the behr drywall primer and the Ultra-hide paint which you've tried. tinting the primer helps with coverage and if you can get the primer and finish paint tinted at the same time it helps .Or you can use the Ultra-hide as a primer tinted to color , and while it may cost you a bit more then a primer you'll only need 2 coats of the ultra-hide versus a coat of primer and 2 coats of finish. we found the Ultra-hide touches up very well . All of the above is if your using a flat product if your going to go with any kind of sheen there is no skipping the prime and 2 finish coats.
 Good Luck
   Fred
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Ultra Hide is the paint of choice for most of the new construction paint contractors around here, very good specs for the cost since you are not paying for an advertised label.
If you are going white with the trim check out Ultra Hide "Durus" gloss, a true acrylic that levels and hides very well with a somewhat soft sheen ( for a gloss ). Sprays well also.

Best of Luck,
rmichael    pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline newhomepainting

Re: Hi i have painted a new home with behr pva and sherwin williams paint
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:38:50 PM »
The behr is a thicker white pva no doubt and i have tinted all pvas which i wasnt sure you should do with glue.  Now i gotta talk my sister into not going the most expensive route benjamin $50 a gallon detail paint, they say it expands like oil.  If i went 50 or sixty gallons thats 3grand for paint though its a 700kplus home heck i will post pics after the hardie plank board is up.  Ive painted like 9 new homes now, in park city utah they where getting like 13 grand to paint and i figure for 4 weeks work id give it a try i got a few gray hairs from doing it but o well.  Anyone use sherwin williams new promar 200xp no primer needed?