Author Topic: Cracks after drying  (Read 3833 times)

Offline DavidHenshaw

Cracks after drying
« on: September 03, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »
I'm painting the downstairs bathroom here at my home. I had a nice coat of salmon color flat latex on the walls from Home Depot I think. It had been on for about two months. The ceiling was flat ceiling white latex.

What I did was take some of the ceiling paint which was left over and tinted it with some of the salmon which was left over. I applied it to the top of the walls, about eight inches, so the ceiling wouldn't appear so high (its about a 10 foot ceiling) and to reduce the effect of the drastic change from the salmon wall to the white ceiling. Salmon is kind of pink.

The first coat was fine. The second coat filled with something like spider web cracks after drying. A third coat also filled with small cracks. I only put one coat of the new mixture on the ceiling and had no problem with cracks.

I'm not going to fix this. Its only an eight inch strip around the top of the wall. But I would not want this to happen if I was doing it for a customer. What gives ?

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
Re: Cracks after drying
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 08:19:33 AM »
dave h,
what was the first coat painted over?
was the ceiling flat the same(manufacture) as the wall product
what was the time increment between applications? :-\

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 02:52:20 PM »
Hmm, that almost sounds like some glue or adhesive was left behind at some time when border paper/vinyl was removed...Doesn't take much either, and the first coat may have dried too fast to activate it, but the second and third coats tranferred moisture through the first and kept it wet long enough to start reacting...

Offline DavidHenshaw

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 06:30:20 PM »
Its a very old house. All the walls are lathe and plaster. When we moved here 11 years ago I was painting everything inside with a semi gloss interior latex. Its hard to tell what I was painting over 10 years ago but I'm sure there was no wall paper in this little room that I've turned into a bathroom.

As I mentioned when starting the thread I began by applying flat interior latex. It was salmon in color. It was on the wall for two months. The spider webbing occured when I laid on a second coat of flat paint.

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 05:36:49 PM »
David ,  I know you mentioned you were not going to fix this for now;    but I was curious to how far the spider webbing cracks went back to?    Could you tell to where it was webbing back to?

anything