Author Topic: insect-control paint?  (Read 6535 times)

Jared

insect-control paint?
« on: August 10, 2006, 06:41:36 PM »
So a potential customer says to me that they need a ceiling and wall paint that has insect-control abilities - specifically relating to spiders.  The ceilings in this house are so completely covered with spider webs that I had to estimate most of a day to clean them up...  and they only had them painted about 4 years ago.

Any suggestions?  This is a new one by me.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: insect-control paint?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:06:25 PM »
Hi jared,

Orkin...  ;)

I am not aware of an insect control interior paint, but if there is one it would have to contain a high amount of "off gassing" insecticide. I would be surprised if it is available in CA.  ;D   If you find one let us know....

rmichael    pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 06:40:42 AM »
I used to use "Di-All", just mix it into the paint...The EPA banned the stuff even up here in the hinterlands...

I switched to some stuff called "Bug Juice"...Not as good (considering it's OK'd by the EPA), but it does work...Then there's "Tempo". I've talked to other painters and homeowners who have used it, but it apparently doesn't always mix well with wall coatings...

Do a search on "Bug Juice", you'll come up with a distributor or two...

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 10:58:17 AM »
Do you remember these "painter's tricks".
Mixing in vanilla extract to keep gnats away from exterior paint while it dries, or the one about mixing in an ounce of concentrated "Lysol" to prevent mildew.

Never tried them and I am not recommending them ... I always figured that the vanilla extract trick was some type of practical joke... seems like it would attract every gnat in the five county area..  ;D

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:20:40 PM »
Re: vanilla.  I know that some people add a drop or two of vanilla to help mask the smell of paint.  A smell that can come from the VOCs, volatile organic compounds.  It's usually with cheaper brands/grades.  Yet another reason why the paint dept. is not the place to try to save a buck.
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

Jared

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 03:01:41 PM »
Thanks much for the advice and info!

Looking into the use of Bug Juice.  Luckily for me, this job is at least a month away - which buys me time to get my hands on some Bug Juice and try it out before I mix it into his paint.

About the Lysol - there are actually antifungal products made to be mixed with latex paints...  the big orange box actually stocks the little packets of powder.  (Since I do mostly interior work, I have never used it - so I cannot tell you if it is any good or not.)

Interesting about the vanilla, never heard that one...  and I don't think I will be trying it anytime soon.  ;)  It sure sounds like a recipe for attracting every bug known to mankind.  Might as well just mix in some sugar.

And again, as usual, thanks much for the great info!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 03:03:58 PM by Jared »

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 04:25:35 PM »
Most exterior paints contain mildewcide, some paint companies adjust the amount according to the geographic region where it is to be sold. Mildewcide additives are available, the original formula "Mildex" by "Chem-Pak" was banned by the EPA. "Super Mildex" powder concentrate by "Valspar" still has EPA approval although it resides on the edge of a ban....  :-\
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 04:30:43 PM by rmichael »

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 06:31:55 PM »
I knew I remembered seeing a thread that mentioned using vanilla.   Well,  not for sure if y'all get This Old House ,   but in this issue there was a listing of 101 time saving, or useful tips listed    and one of them  "believe it or not"   was using  Vanilla.  This was to cut down on the ordor-  mix a tbsp. of vanilla extract  or  a drop of "lemon" extract into every gallon.

Who knew.   :D

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 09:49:45 PM »
I knew I remembered seeing a thread that mentioned using vanilla.   Well,  not for sure if y'all get This Old House ,   but in this issue there was a listing of 101 time saving, or useful tips listed    and one of them  "believe it or not"   was using  Vanilla.  This was to cut down on the ordor-  mix a tbsp. of vanilla extract  or  a drop of "lemon" extract into every gallon.

Who knew.   :D

HAHA. I would love to the customers face when they walk in as I'm pouring vanilla and lemon in the paint.