Author Topic: Applying Polyacrylic to Luan Doors  (Read 6803 times)

Offline ArtisticPainting

Applying Polyacrylic to Luan Doors
« on: August 14, 2006, 05:49:04 PM »
What is the best way to apply Minwax Polyacrylic to interior luan doors? Should I spray them? Spray them standing up or laying down? What tip size do recommend? Or would rolling with a sponge roller work better? I have 9 doors to do. ???

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Applying Polyacrylic to Luan Doors
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 06:28:35 PM »
Artistic~
A few years back we whitewashed and polyed all the cabinet quality birch walls of an entire "Guest House" . All the walls were 5ft X 9ft smooth panels (the owner/builder hated drywall).
The large smooth panels presented a big problem for applying the gloss poly acrylic ( yes I did say GLOSS ). I tested many different methods. A brush will "rope up" the quick setting poly, a foam roller will pull a nap or air bubbles, a sprayer was not an option. We found the best way was a painting pad, the kind with a foam backing and short fibered working side.
Do not apply it thick... thin out the poly and apply more than one coat.
Work out of a roller tray and work fast.

Best of Luck
rmichael     pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
Re: Applying Polyacrylic to Luan Doors
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:57:08 PM »
artisticpainting,
your project sounds like one of my daily routines.i stain and finish between 4-10 luan doors,5 days a week.
i'm sure there are a few different approaches so without debate here are the steps that are taken.
(1)inspect doors for cleanliness,clean as needed.
(2)stain doors (4 sides only.
(3)get a coffee
(4)apply first coat of clear.i use a 6" x 1/2" mini roller(short handle) and a 2"liner polynylon brush.i first
roll the bottom and top for door sealing purposes and then the hinge and latch edges.when i get to the
door faces i load up my roller with polyacrylic and proceed to roll out the top quadrent and immediately
back brush what was just applied.i then spin the door from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock so the top is now the bottom.i then roll out the middle, then back brush.then a half a rollerload finishes off the top which has
to be backbrushed too.repeat this process for the other face.
(5)follow pretty much the same steps in (4)only this time you skip over the top and bottom as they are
already done.
 my doors are always consisent in quality and finish.i think this is what you are looking for. ;)