Author Topic: Spraying Polyurethane  (Read 4278 times)

Offline FauxPro

Spraying Polyurethane
« on: August 13, 2006, 10:46:44 AM »
Hi everyone!  I have been reading this board for some time, and have gained a ton of knowledge without ever posting.  Now I am presented with a "treading new water" job and need a little insight/help.

I have been contacted to bid on a new log cabin.  They need the entire inside polyurethaned.  The first stage would be ceilings, walls and trim.  The ceilings and walls will be sprayed.  The windows, doors, and built-ins will be brushed as they have all been hand made, including the screen doors.  The floors will be a separate bid as they will undergo a faux finish and will not use polyurethane. 

Everything is huge hand hewn flat timbers and beams.  Very rustic and rough sawn.  Any idea how to bid this project.  They probably only want one coat on walls and ceilings.  They want to preserve the rustic old cabin appearance.  This is a high end cabin even though it is not extremely large.  Depending on if they want the bonus sections sprayed, it is between 2500 - 3000 square feet.

Any help is appreciated.  We are also bidding on various other aspects of this project (finish carpentry, etc.)

Offline newhomepainting

Re: Spraying Polyurethane
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:52:08 PM »
Many times they use different products for the interior like water base stains with a lower sheen.  Exterior obviously id go sikkens log products or penofin.  One reason might be the voc used in interior.

Offline newhomepainting

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 07:53:11 PM »
I forgot you could use water base poly like minwax for interior

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 09:34:45 PM »
Fauxpro,

Use your same price structure as you would for any two coat job, and add a "specialty" premium to the bid.

Best of luck
rmichael    pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline MacPaint

• Contracting is "Paint by Numbers"
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 02:36:09 PM »
I have to interject this tip.

I recently completed a very large interior stain & 2-coat poly job. I had incredible results using Zinser's newest sealer, Seal Coat. It's alcohol-based shellac (fumey) but it contains no waxes, (like sanding sealer does), so it dries very quickly and creates a film over the wood as a good base for the poly-u.

The best part was the finish: the faster dry time created almost no raising of the wood grains, so there was very little sanding to be done. This meant less sanding dust/residue. When the poly-u coat went on, it stood up with a very nice, deep sheen!

Also, it cost me roughly 5-6 bucks less per gallon than polyurethane.

If you can get by the fumes, it's a good base for your poly job.

Mac
The test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves.
                     -Logan Pearsall Smith