Author Topic: How long should it take to paint a room?  (Read 92057 times)

Offline earthlydream

How long should it take to paint a room?
« on: September 04, 2006, 04:59:02 PM »
How long does it take a pro to paint a 15x15 size room just painting the walls & ceiling? No prep or primer just a good one coat color paint & ceiling white paint?

Also how long does it take to learn cutting in? I am a artist so I have a detailed eye & steady hand but I still am not good at cutting in. Is it the paticular brush you use?

Thanks,
Doreen

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
Re: How long should it take to paint a room?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 06:16:41 PM »
Cutting in for me is the brush and the skill. I never watch the brush, I always look ahead of it. That's after I grip it correctly and load it with the proper amount of paint. A quality brush will make you a better painter because it holds more paint and disperses it evenly and readily once it contacts the surface.

It would probably take me 8 hours to complete a room that size with the cut in and rolling. But I"m a perfectionist, so I'm already in the penalty box from the get go.

get go. I think that's a southern slang for "from the beginning, or start". I heard it today so I'm using it.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 10:10:06 PM »
I just did my parents dining room the other day which is 14X15 with 8 foot ceilings. 3 doors and 1 window. One coat on the ceiling and walls. The walls were painted a different color than the ceiling. Almost everything was moved out when I started. It took me 2 hours and 5 minutes including taking a 10 minute break to make and eat a sandwich ;D. Then 15 minutes for clean up. This was about average for me.

I almost always do 2 coats, but my parents liked how the first coat looked and didn't want me to do another one.

As far as cutting in, as long as you are using the right brush and holding it right, it shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it. You'll naturally get better/faster the longer you do it though. I use a 3in flat sash brush to trim, but I know a lot of people prefer a smaller brush like 2 or 2.5 for trim.

Also what brushworks said about watching ahead of the brush is something many amateurs fail to do when learning to paint. It won't do you any good to look at what you've already painted.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 10:17:56 PM by Flawless Finish »

Offline DavidHenshaw

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 10:56:13 PM »
I'm no pro but I've done lots of painting for myself. You can't do the job you describe quickly. It takes time to have it turn out right. I would start with the ceiling using a roller. I personally apply paint slowly with a roller. Otherwise specks of paint will go everywhere. Most people I've seen like to slap it on. I don't think you'll see too many pros do that especially with a ceiling. After the rolling use a brush to get the edges of the ceiling where the roller could not cover. You don't care about getting some white ceiling paint on the walls because you will be coming back with whatever the wall cover is later. When finished with the ceiling the ceiling white should be extending down a couple inches on all the walls.

Now start rolling on the wall application. You don't care if the ceiling is dry yet because the ceiling will continue to dry as you apply paint to the walls. Did I mention an open window to assist drying? Resist the temptation to get the roller close to the ceiling. You just did a great job on the ceiling. Don't mess it up by getting too close with the wall application. Again, take your time with the roller. You're watching for the right amount of paint on the roller at all times. Too much or too little paint on the roller will not give the best results on the wall.

After taking a break, you're gonna need one at this point, start cutting in the top of the walls. The key is the right amount of paint on the brush. And of course a good brush. I load up the brush and then dump about half the brush's load somewhere near the top of the wall. Now that I have a managable amount of paint on the brush I hold it near where I want my line, press the brush down a little to spread the bristles and then draw the line that I want. I then pat the brush where I left the excess paint and do the above process until I've used all of the first brush load of paint. Drawing the line gets easy after you've done it on a bunch of jobs. However, it does take a while to develop the skill. I cut in windows, doors and baseboard in a similar fashion.

Now for the time thing. I don't see how a good job could possible be done in less than four hours. It would probably take me six. 15 x 15 is big and there is the setting up of drop cloths, moving the ladder over and over, moving the cans etc. around the room and all that time consuming cutting in, not to mention the cleanup. And don't forget breaks and lunch. You can't work without fuel.

The key thing is to give yourself enough time to do the job right. If you're weak on cutting in this could easily be an all day job.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 07:22:28 PM by DavidHenshaw »

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:01:12 AM »
I'm no pro but I've done lots of painting for myself. You can't do the job you describe quickly. It takes time to have it turn out right. I would start with the ceiling using a roller. I personally apply paint slowly with a roller. Otherwise specks of paint will go everywhere. Most people I've seen like to slap it on. I don't think you'll see too many pros do that especially with a ceiling. After the rolling use a brush to get the edges of the ceiling where the brush could not cover. You don't care about getting some white ceiling paint on the walls because you will be coming back with whatever the wall cover is later. When finished with the ceiling the ceiling white should be extending down a couple inches on all the walls.

Now start rolling on the wall application. You don't care if the ceiling is dry yet because the ceiling will continue to dry as you apply paint to the walls. Did I mention an open window to assist drying? Resist the temptation to get the roller close to the ceiling. You just did a great job on the ceiling. Don't mess it up by getting too close with the wall application. Again, take your time with the roller. You're watching for the right amount of paint on the roller at all times. Too much or too little paint on the roller will not give the best results on the wall.

After taking a break, you're gonna need one at this point, start cutting in the top of the walls. The key is the right amount of paint on the brush. And of course a good brush. I load up the brush and then dump about half the brush's load somewhere near the top of the wall. Now that I have a managable amount of paint on the brush I hold it near where I want my line, press the brush down a little to spread the bristles and then draw the line that I want. I then pat the brush where I left the excess paint and do the above process until I've used all of the first brush load of paint. Drawing the line gets easy after you've done it on a bunch of jobs. However, it does take a while to develop the skill. I cut in windows, doors and baseboard in a similar fashion.

Now for the time thing. I don't see how a good job could possible be done in less than four hours. It would probably take me six. 15 x 15 is big and there is the setting up of drop cloths, moving the ladder over and over, moving the cans etc. around the room and all that time consuming cutting in, not to mention the cleanup. And don't forget breaks and lunch. You can't work without fuel.

The key thing is to give yourself enough time to do the job right. If you're weak on cutting in this could easily be an all day job.

I personally like to cut in before I roll. This way I can roll as close as possible and minimize the possibility of any brush marks. I go, cut ceiling, roll ceiling, cut everything on walls except up to the ceiling (the ceiling is still a little wet), then cut the wall up to the ceiling, and then roll walls.

Also don't allow yourself to get too sloppy when brushing the edges with the ceiling paint. Yes it's alright to get a little on the walls, but depending on the wall color, you may see a difference in color where you paint over the white, especially if you‘re only doing one coat.

Using high quality paint will speed things up for pro painters. The example I used of doing it in about 2 hours was using a higher quality paint from Porter. Had I been using Behr or another thick paint, I could have easily added another 2 hours for the mere fact it doesn't spread well.

Offline Fat Tony

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 02:39:46 AM »
I am reposting this, its from RMichael,s earlier posts and its the way i do it now. What everyone else said about watching where you are going and not where you have been is a habit i had to break but i did break it and im cutting better and faster than i ever did. A room that size with ceilings would take me roughly 4-6 hours depending on what pharmacuticals im taking that day, flawless finish must have some real good stuff to be doing it in 2 hours. lol Just kidding.

Here is RMichaels post :

I use a 2 1/2 inch thin stock Purdy trim brush. Here is my technique...Load and stroke a line just under the ceiling line, then load the brush and rake the brush side across the rim of the pot ( just rake the side of the brush that will face the ceiling line ). Establish the line by applying enough pressure to the brush to spread out the bristles and work up to the ceiling. Pull the line, at the end of your reach work the line down away from the ceiling, pick up the line on the next pull..

A heavily loaded brush, at least on the ceiling side, will pull a fat bead of paint and the result will be a paint line on the ceiling. Try to keep that bead as small as possible.   

Offline earthlydream

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!

Do you all think Behr paint in their highest quality is not a good paint? What about Ben Moore?

I was having trouble w/paint not moving when I was cutting in. So I would load brush then it would go onto the ceiling & I had to make it look like a straight line!

I need a better brush too!

How much would a regular painting job w/out prep (just filling in small holes from pics) ceilings & walls no trim cost? How much w/trim? I charged client $150 & she bought paint. I had to buy some supplies which cost $50 so I really only made $100. I even had help for two 1/2 hours, then finished job myself in another few hours. I thought it should be $200 w/ceiling & if trim another $50.

Also how much are closets? They are tough to do! :P

Doreen :)

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »
A room that size with ceilings would take me roughly 4-6 hours depending on what pharmacuticals im taking that day, flawless finish must have some real good stuff to be doing it in 2 hours. lol Just kidding.

HAHA. I think it just has to do with being 19 years old and wanting to spend time with the women instead of being in the bucket.

Thanks for all the advice!

Do you all think Behr paint in their highest quality is not a good paint? What about Ben Moore?

I was having trouble w/paint not moving when I was cutting in. So I would load brush then it would go onto the ceiling & I had to make it look like a straight line!

I need a better brush too!

How much would a regular painting job w/out prep (just filling in small holes from pics) ceilings & walls no trim cost? How much w/trim? I charged client $150 & she bought paint. I had to buy some supplies which cost $50 so I really only made $100. I even had help for two 1/2 hours, then finished job myself in another few hours. I thought it should be $200 w/ceiling & if trim another $50.

Also how much are closets? They are tough to do! :P

Not a fan of Behr at all. Although I have some bad feelings toward it because after having to load my brush up one day while using it just to get it to spread a little, I had a nice glob drip off and fall in my eyeball (only time that's ever happened). That was a fun half hour in the customer's shower.

It's really just too thick. If that's the paint you are currently using, it's most likely why you're having problems moving the paint. I haven't used Ben Moore for a while, but I'm sure it's much easier to work with.

Closests can be all over the place when it comes to price. I've spent 8 hours in a small walk-in just because of all the shelves and all that good stuff. Thankfully most of the customers I come across don't even want to mess with them. Actually the only time they really ask me to do them is when they are going to sell and already have everything out to see how bad they are.

As far as price goes on the 15X15, are you talking about moving furniture too? For just walking in, throwing down drop clothes, doing minor hole filling, and painting 2 colors I charge about $150 to $175 for labor. Another $40 for paint and $10 supply charge. (BTW I always ask if they want the holes filled in. Some people want them so they can put there pictures up in the same places.) Add another $40-$80 for woodwork and $18 for paint. When I started painting, I would have been closer to $100 for labor minus the woodwork and taken about 6 hours.

Offline Paint Mode

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 09:52:49 PM »
  I'll be the oddball and say the only way I paint ceilings is with a sprayer. I couldn't imagine how my neck would feel after trying to cut in a ceiling and roll it. The sprayer will take less time, and you can't beat how even it will go up.
  After spraying, I'd vent the room and start any lower cutting until the overspray onto the walls dried completely.
  For cuttting I use a purty 3" slant cut brush. I also only put paint on the wall side of the brush (hold the brush up as if you were cutting. Swipe the side facing the ceiling) Cutting is only a matter of putting the bristles of the brush into the 90 of the wall/ceiling and pulling it smoothly across. The 90 will determine your line, and your hand will determine how well you stay on that line. I'll cut like a 3 ft. section and then I swipe the brush the same way as I did when I was going to cut the line (except I load it more) and I'll run the brush vertically in a horizontal stroke to cut in 3" from the ceiling. This also lets me smooth the paint out as a "finish" stroke, where the first step I was just making the line.
  Roll 2 coats, and clean up. I'd say 7-9 hours.

I just switched paints from Behr ultra premium blah blah flat enamel (after 2 years) to sherwin williams duration home. The behr seemed to go on fine for me (maybe I became used to it) and looked good, but wiping anything off the paint for the homeowner instantly leads to a yellow tint to form. The sherwin is more expensive,  but is the best paint I've used. It goes on great, covers like no other (that I know of), and is like a dry erase board when it dries. You can actually write on it and wipe it off, which was the only thing I was missing with the behr. If you want a comparable to the behr, a little more costly but won't yellow when rubbing, you can go with the sherwin williams cashmere.  Sorry for the long post.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 09:56:00 PM by Paint Mode »

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 11:22:27 PM »
  I'll be the oddball and say the only way I paint ceilings is with a sprayer. I couldn't imagine how my neck would feel after trying to cut in a ceiling and roll it. The sprayer will take less time, and you can't beat how even it will go up.

Actually spraying the ceilings is indeed faster, but what about the time to mask everything? Then you have clean up of the sprayer. I can cut and roll a 8 foot high ceiling in 30 minutes. Takes me about that long to clean out my sprayer. I do know what you mean by saving your neck though. I don't need a ladder to trim the ceiling since I'm about 6'4", but it does kill my neck. And no doubt rolling ceilings will build up muscle.

Offline Paint Mode

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 09:54:07 PM »
   If I'm painting the walls too, than I just walk around the room and mask a line just over the door jams and windows and drape the walls from there. As long as the masking line is nowhere near the ceiling, I could spray down the wall a foot or so and it will never show. The ceilings tend to take pretty light coats to cover, and with a window or door open you can start cutting in 45 mins. Definately long enough to clean out the sprayer and grab a soda.  8)

Offline earthlydream

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 09:59:13 PM »
I got a really good 2" brush for cutting in. The store manager showed me how to hold it. Vertically, I was painting horizontally w/cut in brush. I went alot faster but still not perfect w/my line.

I painted today for a client & tried to build up my speed. I went faster but not sure if I am as fast as you pros or as acurate.

How do you all price rooms? I priced this job at 10 x 10, 2 coats, one primer tinted  to color, one wall paint & trim one coat $225

13 x 13 same as above $250.

Does that sound cheap or little below a pro price. She also wanted the job done immediately & needed it finished by this Saturday night. Is that also more money? I have time in my schedule so I could do a rush job.

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 11:26:57 PM »
I got a really good 2" brush for cutting in. The store manager showed me how to hold it. Vertically, I was painting horizontally w/cut in brush. I went alot faster but still not perfect w/my line.

I painted today for a client & tried to build up my speed. I went faster but not sure if I am as fast as you pros or as acurate.

How do you all price rooms? I priced this job at 10 x 10, 2 coats, one primer tinted  to color, one wall paint & trim one coat $225

13 x 13 same as above $250.

Does that sound cheap or little below a pro price. She also wanted the job done immediately & needed it finished by this Saturday night. Is that also more money? I have time in my schedule so I could do a rush job.

I estimate my time on the site multiply that times how much I want to make an hour and then add materials. I never tell the customer how I come up with my price though. There are a lot of ways to do it though.

Just to check on the rooms you quoted. You did ceilings white (one coat), primer on the walls (one coat), wall color (one coat), and then trim (one coat) a different color. Did that including moving? Did you pay for the paint?

When it comes to price, it's really hard to tell you if that is an ok price. Depends on your area, competition, how good you are, how much experience you have, how much overhead you have, and a lot more things. If they need it done right away, I normally add a little extra if I can easily fit it in and a lot extra if I have to work crazy hours in order to get it done.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 03:29:25 PM »
Hi Doreen

Sounds a little low to me.

lynjo

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline earthlydream

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 07:01:06 PM »
Ugh! :-\

I think it's too low now too! It is ALOT OF WORK!!! Plus it's a rush job. I am beginning to think I should have priced each room $100 more. So it would have been $325 & $350.

Why did she need primer any way? The original color was light & new color is tan.

Does $325 & $350 sound more like the correct price or is that too much. It is two coats primer, wall color. & trim.

Doreen :P