Author Topic: Faux finish on concrete floor?  (Read 11186 times)

Offline Flawless Finish

Faux finish on concrete floor?
« on: August 22, 2006, 11:28:51 PM »
Today in my business law class we had to meet someone, get to know them, and then tell the class about that person (it's supposed to increase class participation). Well when my partner was telling the class about me and my painting/auto detailing business, the professor became interested. She ask me in the middle of class if I could do a faux like finish on a concrete floor. It took me by surprise and I told her that we could talk later. She said that we need to do that. I assume the work is in the basement.

I don't have that much experience with faux and I've never been that big of a fan of it. I'm also not that much of a fan of doing concrete floors. I think it's better to just put down a real floor instead of trying to make the concrete look good.

I'd really like to get some type of business from her as I know word would spread throughout the campus and to other professors. It might help my grade out a little as well ;D. I also had 2 other people in class ask me for my card. It amazes me how many people want painting done, but don't take the steps to do it until the opportunity is right in front of them.

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Faux finish on concrete floor?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:14:20 PM »
Tell her you don't do faux. Faux concrete in particular is a speciality that strays a long way from traditional house painting.
Don't get in over your head.... just say no.

Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:24:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking, but I've never had to turn down a job. I've always been able to BS my way thru just about everything and learn as I go. I guess I just have this mentality that I can do anything and do it well (It's a good and bad thing). I might have hit the limit here though.

I think I'm going to tell her that if she does find someone to attempt it, she probably won't be happy with the results unless she can manage to find someone that does that specifically. I'll see if I can get her to make it a solid color instead.

Michael have you ever done faux on concrete?

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 06:27:25 AM »
you can check out these website for concrete staining and overlays.  I know the most of these require you to be certified in applying.   Modello's  are a one time stencil application that is another consideration for you to give a try.  You can obtain a how to video which helps .

http://www.modelloconcrete.com/

www.skimstone.com

http://www.bellavernici.com/

http://www.concretenetwork.com/

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 04:36:46 PM »
Thanks for the links DecorativeWalls.

Offline FauxPro

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »
I would recommend finding someone who specializes in concrete faux painting/staining.  Talk with them;  explaining that you often/sometimes have a client or lead that requires this specialization.  This job can generate reverse leads for you IF you find the right person to handle it.  Your professor will be happy to know you spent a little time to do the research for him/her, and happier for you admitting this is not your expertise.  They will remember you when it is time for other jobs. 

I have fauxed concrete floors.  If it is on HGTV, they are dying to have it in my area.  But even a brand new, extremely clean concrete floor will have issues.  The  majority want the slab to look like a finished marble or ceramic tile floor.  Just remember that stain is not as forgiving as paint - if that is what they want.  The concrete will act much like wood in that some places will grab more stain than others, etc. 

A basement floor that has been "lived" on and might be in a damp environment creates bigger chances of bigger issues.  Oil residues, cleaner buildup and sealers, to only name a few, will make this project a JOB with a suction hose attached to your wallet.

I personally would avoid it, knowing you also have a grade attached in a sorta-kinda way.

FauxPro   

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 09:14:06 PM »
Tell her you don't do faux. Faux concrete in particular is a speciality that strays a long way from traditional house painting.
Don't get in over your head.... just say no.
Word. I've never lost money on a job I didn't take.

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 07:20:43 PM »
Thanks FauxPro, I wish you were in my area so I could refer her to you.

I decided it's not worth the risk.

ProWall do you do concrete faux?

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 09:55:45 PM »
Nope. Specialize in wallcoverings, and do high end interior residential repaints to keep the cash flowing.

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 06:24:18 PM »
Nope. Specialize in wallcoverings, and do high end interior residential repaints to keep the cash flowing.

Darn. Do you know anyone in this area that you would recommend to do faux finishes?

Offline paintchip

• I'm a llama!
    • KB Designs
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 08:29:01 PM »
Decorative concrete finishes are extremely popular.  They can not only be beautiful, but are also very durable.  I have been working with SkimStone for going on 3 years now and it can be used on new and existing concrete.  You can probably purchase it through a distributor, but a word of caution.  If this person loves the finish, you know she will be referring you to others, so if you take the job be prepared to be doing it again.  Also, you shouldn't have a problem using this product, just practice on some boards first.

Other concrete products that are good are Colormaker Floors and Daich.