Author Topic: Bidding Graphics  (Read 5449 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Bidding Graphics
« on: September 11, 2006, 08:37:10 AM »
Puttin' my feelers out here...I'm bidding a rare commercial job, and after accepting my original proposal they changed the specs on me, removing a large area to be painted from the contract and adding a lot more, with a twist; they now want graphics in several areas. This is a mall downtown, meaning night work, which I never go after anymore, but they want my work, so... ::)...I get to measure all over again.

Anyway, being as I haven't done any graphic work in some time (pretty simple, a kelly green horizontal stripe and a large number of verticals), I was wondering if I could get some input on how you price the stuff...I wanted to give them a T&M bid but they want a hard number--Yes, they know my hard number will be a lot or a little more than a lot, compared to T&M...

Base color will be a simple off-white, stripe width to be determined (at least 12"), stripe to be 8-10 feet off the floor, meaning ladders and scaffolds...

I appreciate any hep. 8)

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Bidding Graphics
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:47:11 PM »
paintsmith,
thats a hard call being the stripes will be 8-10 ft. off the floor.      Depends on how many of the verticals you are doing , does it cover all the walls,  one wall, two walls.     How long are the verticals going to be.  How long in length is the horizontal stripe going to be, and on how many walls.

The biggest issues I see in pricing for the verticals is having to do it all on ladders/scaffolding and the amount of time it will take in the inital prep of measuring, taping/taking down, .  The painting part will of course be the easiet (still not easy enough being it will be all up so high).   Hope you have one of those good neck braces or a good chiropractor afterwards. :o   

For the high verticals here are some guidelines from Paint Contractor's Handbook,;  over 8' to 13' = 1.3 times the price; over 13' to 17' = 1.6 times the price; over 17' to 19' = 1.9 times the price; 20' - 21'= 2.2 times the price. The Handbook called it the "high time/difficulty factor.

As for pricing - quote a flat fee but figure out hours and material costs to you.  Just try and make your best guess on the number of hours it will take you and x that by what you need to make per hour , then add materials.   Work the decorative bid from several directions (how much time & materials? what does that add up to per sq.ft?   Use time and sq.ft. to cross check yourself.  Included in total, set up, prep, measuring , tape, applying tape, painting,  any prep from assuring a clean crisp stripe line, working overhead, scaffolding, cleanup, etc.   .  Most of all, the taping will take the longest.  glad they are 12"-  .

Don't know if any of this helps or not.   
Best of luck.   :)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 04:41:35 PM »
Thanks DW, I'd forgotten about the handbook, and I happen to have a few... :-[

The verticals count 31 total, and are trimmed with 1"X1" oak. They are masonite. There will be no need to measure and tape them, obviously, but they count as graphics...

The complexity of all the measurements from the original bid are a little difficult even for me to disect, and I took the measurements!! I think what I'll end up doing is to take my original figure and add 20% for the graphics, and another 20% for the difficulty level (and consideration of night work)...

They also want this project done by the 15th of October, and I may add a surcharge for interrupting my schedule...He's already trying to intimidate me with bids from two other painters, and that alone may win him an empty envelope from me... >:(

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:04:18 PM »
That's exactly right,  they do count as the total picture, .     

The complexity of all the measurements from the original bid are a little difficult even for me to disect, and I took the measurements!!

accepting my original proposal they changed the specs on me, removing a large area to be painted from the contract and adding a lot more, with a twist; they now want graphics in several areas.

Changing in midstream to something else,  you are STILL covering all the wall space in some fashion.     From your original measurements which included this  particular space  and this being 31 verticals,  I think you still might be cutting yourself short;       

unless-   as you mentioned  which are very good "valid points"--(nighttime-  and their project end date,  to your schedule interruption.  .  This definitely should be a consideration to your pricing.

I hope it all works out for you.   Sounds like this will look beautiful when finished.
:)

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 06:09:35 PM »
paintsmith,
i'm with you on the empty envelope.their insistent on your quality craftsmanship
yet they tell you there are two other bids.put it to them good as you know what you will hear after they receive your bid .you 're on top of your game
and i know you pick and choose your projects at this point.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 06:04:48 AM »
Well, they didn't get the empty envelope, but from their silence I think the shock has their tongues firmly in a death grip. My proposal emphasized the terms craftmanship and high standards (theirs AND mine)...Yes, Theopas, I "put" it to them :o.

My wife owns a business in that same mall. Think of the mall version of a "Mayberry"; word gets around pretty fast in there, I should know who got the job before noon today, BEFORE they get up the cajones to call me... 8)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 07:12:32 PM »
Just so noboby's left hangin' on the edge of your seats (I hate varicose veins!!), I not only did not get the contract, but the guy who did is THE lowballer here in town...His "work" has been decried for some time around here...They will definitely get what they're paying for, and, being an ocaisional mall customer, I'll be sure to let 'em know what I think...Every time I walk through... ;D

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 07:28:30 PM »
Eric

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job.

they are the real losers. Some people never learn.

lynjo
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 07:33:58 PM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 04:31:37 AM »
I was just about to ask how the mall job was going and just read your reponse.   Oh Eric, I agree;  I am sure they will get just what they are paying for  and you can enjoy in the delight as "I told ya so".   :)

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 07:24:59 PM »
paintsmith,
i think you'll enjoy walking by that job from time to time watching the lo-bawler take it whre the sun don't
shine.that job is off to a precarious start. i wonder how long before they approach you for some tech
advice or even the job again?been there,done that.we are contractors not welcome mats.knowledge and
experience in our trade has value and people will always try to get it for free.when they start asking
for the details(in writing)we already know whats up.i noticed before you mentioned reputation,another
powerful business tool.reputation infers that you have standards and i am sure yours are about as high as
mine.usually i would'nt give that job a second thought but if they come begging and the price is negotiable
of course in your interest, maybe you could overlook past discretions.maybe not.

anything