Author Topic: Blue Painter's Tape Question  (Read 5101 times)

Offline AttentiontoDetail

Blue Painter's Tape Question
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:30:27 PM »
I have been painting for 20 plus years and occassionaly use the blue painter's tape for masking off door and window jambs to give it that clean edge.  Within the last several months I have been experiencing problems when using the tape.  Once the trim work is painted and I remove the tape from the wall, the wall paint has been peeling off with it.

The walls have always been given ample time to dry usually overnight before the tape is applied.  Anyway, I have never had a problem in the past when using the tape.  I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing the same problem. 

My manager at Sherwin Williams said he was going to talk to the rep. of 3M and see if there have been any other complaints along the same line. Any advice or suggestions would be appreicated.

Thanks.

Jared

Re: Blue Painter's Tape Question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:01:16 PM »
Personally, I feel the regular blue tape should only be used on painted surfaces that have *fully cured* - not just dried.

For REALLY fresh paint (i.e. last 24-48 hrs or so) I tend to use the OTHER 3M blue tape - the stuff marked for "delicate surfaces".

However - I prefer NOT to rely on masking tape as a general rule - because if one does not press too hard with the tape, the paint bleeds under the edge; and if one presses too hard, the paint layer below can sometimes peel off with the tape when it is removed...

But let's see what some of the others here have to say about this - I know at least a few members here who have a *ton* of experience with tape.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:39:42 PM »
Sometimes tape is necessary.... :-\

The problem you describe is probably not the tape, it is the paint. This is usually not a problem with flat paints, but paints that have a sheen or paints with an extended "dry" time can cause a problem.

We "back cut" trim, that is, we paint all the windows doors and trim first ( except baseboards ) then we paint the walls.. truing all the trim edges/lines as we cut in with the wall paint... makes for a much easier hand cut...  :)

As far as the type of tape, 3M's blue "Delicate" seems to work the best.

Best of Luck
rmichael     pro painter
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 09:52:33 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 01:37:16 AM »
I learned a few things about tape with my autobody experience. If you want the tape to come up without pulling anything under it up, you are more likely to succeed if you pull the tape by "lead pulling" it up, if you get my meaning.

There are cases where you want the tape to pick up what is underneath it, for instance, when your tape is leaving some of its adhesive on the surface, you pull the tape at a high angle, or said another way, pull having the section of tape currently coming off the surface ahead of your hand.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 12:07:01 AM by Chip McCheckellson »
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 04:55:35 AM »
I am using the delicate painter's tape "all" the time when doing decorative finishes over the basecoat.    I only use 3m and the one with the orange center core  (sometimes the larger sizes are in yellow center core).  I also use two more brands that are pretty darn good,  but the 3m is my all time favorite.  Wish I had part in their company 8) .  I also agree sometimes paints that require a longer dry time can be a little suspicious as well.  I can honestly say without a doubt I have never had the first problem with using the tape I use(close on occasion but never actually had a boo-boo- yeah, I know my number is out there somewhere) .  Here is some info.  you might find helpful in some way.   Sometimes if the tape is being a little stubborn with you trying to release,  I always stop immediately and re-examine my approach-  maybe a different angle from what I normally use, light scoring,  hairdryer trick-  but normally a differernt angle works  and never remove at a fast pace ( those tv commericals just kill me- the way they show how easy and fast to remove the tape- geesh)   .  The best rate is ( slow to moderate).

This one is a little slow pulling up but it is the one for RELEASING the tape.   Just click on the one in the box you want to listen to or read

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 06:09:08 AM by DecorativeWalls »

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 06:43:26 AM »
I realize it's too late for this approach now, but as Michael mentioned, it's easiest to cut to the trim rather than cut to the wall. And that trim paint overlap on the wall allows the wall paint to glide in evenly.

I always used Painter's Mate because it's a local brand and worked well. Not that I ever trusted it over paint less than 7 days cured.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Paint Mode

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:44:24 PM »
   I find that happens with latex paint alot. I pull everything before it's dry if possible.

Offline AttentiontoDetail

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 09:51:57 PM »
Thank you all for your helpful replies.  Michael, I will try your method painting the trim first.  Thanks again.

anything