Author Topic: Paint Streaks  (Read 42436 times)

Offline Rainmayne

• I'm a llama!
Paint Streaks
« on: July 16, 2005, 08:47:19 AM »
Hi everybody,

I just painted the interior of my house with one coat of paint and I noticed a lot of paint streaks on the wall.  I plan to add a second coat of paint in an attempt to remove the streaks on the wall and I was wondering what excatly can I do to remove the previous streaks/or avoid streaks the second time around?

Thanks in advance,

Rainmayne
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 08:53:49 AM by Rainmayne »

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:Paint Streaks
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 10:47:09 AM »
Hi Rainmayne,

The paint streaks could be caused by many different things.
Are they liquid and run down the wall, or are they "gray" in color or simply a darker color than the rest of the wall?

rmichael   pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Dave

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 11:30:02 AM »
They are darker in color than the rest of the wall.

Much appreciated,

Rainmayne

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 12:04:07 PM »
Dave,
If the streaks are liquid it could be "surfactant leaching" see the previous post concerning the cause and remedy
www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=79
The streaks could also be caused by floating pigments in the paint. The paint should have been mixed with a paint shaker at the paint store, you still need to stir the paint well before yoy start. Over thinning the paint can also cause pigment streaking.
"Roller frame graying" can cause streaks when the moving metal parts of a roller frame spits a gray film onto the wall. A higher quality roller frame should fix this type of streaking.

Hope this helps
rmichael  pro painter
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 12:05:56 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 05:35:58 AM »
Another consideration is that with most paints, one coat is never enough and the overlap from rolling will give you thin and heavy intermittantly, almost like stripes...A second coat almost always remedies this...

Offline allrawpaul

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 06:08:51 AM »
A stiff cheapo brush will also leave streaks, and cheapo paint will make them worse. Dirty walls increase steaking too.  Two coats is the norm for interior.  For exterior when spraying and backbrushing, I do backmisting to cover any streaking.

Offline beagleowner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 11:05:51 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm also having problems with streaks.  I applied primer on my walls yesterday and let it dry overnight before painting over it. Noticed the streak marks after applying the first coat.  What should l do to remove these marks? I tried sanding them down but this doesn't smooth out the troublesome areas.        

Offline Sandycane

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 01:41:48 PM »
Hi Beagleowner,

The streaks are raised and sandable?
Sounds to me like the paint from the outer edges of your roller wasn't smoothed out durring rolling.
Not sure.

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 03:49:21 PM »
beagleowner,

Not for sure what steps you took ; Here are some things to consider,  : 1. the actual color of the paint you are using(whether it is a transparent color- (higher pigment concentration) which would require at least 2 coats (sometimes more) depending on the paint and primer used.  Some deep bases will have more colorant added and less titanium dioxide being present.
2. The sheen of the paint you are using:  with a higher sheen this can be more obvious
3. Size roller sleeve nap, roller cage being used, quality of roller sleeve,  quality roller frame:  Size the roller nap with the wall surface and use a quality roller cage and roller sleeve.
4.  Applying to much pressure on the roller as you are releasing the paint and not doing a final ceiling to floor run.
5. Lower quality of paint
6.  Try to maintain the same spread rate
7. having the roller loaded with enough paint not trying to unload every single drop of the paint .
8. Don't apply a loaded roller of paint right up against or into the previous rolled area
9. leveling out the painted rolled section with one continuous last finish roll
10. Paint should be stirred even while you are using it. Especially with a higher pigment.
11.  Torque the  closed end of the roller frame in the direction you are painting.   Less pressure will be on the open end.
12. Use one of the telescopic handles for large walls and long passes
13. Three passes:   Roll the paint on, distribute it, and finish with a last roll ceiling to floor.  Different pressures for each pass.  
14.Try to not have any build up of paint on the end of the roller.  

Most of the time beagleowner if you let your first coat dry with the sufficient amt. of time according to the directions , by applying the second coat it will even itself out .  Don't really know any of your particulars and what kind of method, rollers, how much paint you were using, etc.  

If you don't have any build up of paint (heavy build up of the streakiness and something that would not need the necessity of having to sand down build up ridges), try applying your second coat ,  but first try to re-examine what you did in the first coat you applied.  Hopefully with the second coat this will even out your finish.
or as mentioned above (Surfactant leaching)

good luck.

and,   I love beagles   :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 03:53:17 PM by DecorativeWalls »

Offline beagleowner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 06:45:41 PM »
 Thank you SandyCane and DecorativeWalls for both your responses.  I especially appreciated the list of troubleshooting ideas from DecorativeWalls.  My walls do look less streaky after the second coat and I'm actually thinking of painting more rooms in the house after this first project.  Whew!  I have new found respect for all those professional painters out there.  I didn't realize how much there is to know about house painting... ;D

Blessings,
beagleowner

P.S.  DecorativeWalls-Beagles are the best!