Author Topic: Any way to restore a brush with dried paint?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Tommy

Any way to restore a brush with dried paint?
« on: September 27, 2006, 01:31:20 PM »
Is there any way to restore a paintbrush that has dried up with latex on it?

Offline Jared

• PF Mega God
  • Caulk is Cheap.
Re: Any way to restore a brush with dried paint?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 03:22:19 PM »
That depends on how badly the brush was saturated with paint when it dried...

First off, if it is a cheap brush, just get rid of it.  It is not worth the effort to fix it, compared to the cost of replacement.

If it is a good quality brush that was rinsed but not washed clean, you can try using "Motsenbocker's Lift Off # 5" (available at the big box stores and probably at all of your local paint dealers too) and a good brush comb and/or brass wire brush - but it will take time and effort, not to mention money if you do not have the Mostenbocker's or a brush comb...  Usually restoring a brush in this condition is not worth the investment, especially if there was a decent amount of undiluted paint left over when the brush dried.  (The more paint left in there, the more time it will take to clean.)

If the brush is a rock, toss it.  No hope of restoring it to any kind of useful condition.
"Measure your mind's height by the shadow it casts." - Robert Browning

"If you live to learn, you might just learn to live in the process." - Jared

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:16:58 PM »
Hello,

As Jared mentioned- depends on how much is on there .    How far up on the brush is the dried paint?>     How long has it been.

I love using motsenbocker's lift off-5  -   .   Some other things-  rubbing alcohol-  or simple green.   Depends again on how dried ,  how much is on there,  how far up on the brush without further destroying the ferrule .

If you get it back to a stable and useable brush you can also condition it a little with murphy's oil soap.    On your brushes ,  if you are not able to finish or there are conditions where you can't finish something right away,   you can  store your brushes in a dampened rolled up shop towel,   plastic baggies,  saran/glad wrap-  aluminum foil to retain some of the moisture.  Just make sure it is securely closed and not air gets to it.  You can keep it in the frig also.
good luck   :)     or as Jared suggested,  if it is hard as a rock,  I'd pitch it .

Offline yoohooblue

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:35:08 PM »
Immerse it in laquer thinner for a week. Doesn't matter how dried out it is.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 06:42:13 AM »
Immerse it in laquer thinner for a week. Doesn't matter how dried out it is.

This is what I do as well. Once the paint has softened real good I clean it out and then give it a day to soak in a bath of 50/50 mineral spirits/motor oil, to soften it back up (lacquer thinner will leach the emolients out of the bristle, making them brittle)...

Offline ProPTG

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 06:29:29 AM »
OK this is what I do and I do it a lot as there many times I just can't make it home right away estimates and 
running around pleasing clients or I just forget them in the trunk. For every day cleaning of wet paint do not use a wire brush I found that using one of these works best " a nylon bristle nail cleaner brush" the one to scrub your hands with. These will keep your brush in near mint condition. As for cleaning hard brushes I use Poly Clens brush cleaner. 24 hrs soaked in this and you have near new brushes and the cool thing about this it does Acrylic/Alkyd and turns it to water washable. I bought 2 cans poured it into an gal and have cleaned about 30 brushes total. All my brushes are Purdy's not your average throw away. My method is to hang them I drill a small hole through the handle of the brush and prop them through a piece of coat hanger which sits on the rim of the can. I can fit about 5 or 6 I think, so the bristles don't touch the bottom.

Good luck

anything