Author Topic: Sign Painting - an interesting niche  (Read 4055 times)

Jared

Sign Painting - an interesting niche
« on: September 28, 2006, 12:39:46 PM »
So a few months back I was offered a rather unusual job...  had to paint 2 matching signs (18" x 48") for a storefront.  Custom logo & fonts on a simple 3-color faux background.

Worked on it for an hour or 2 per night for a week, and made $1500.

The interesting part of this job was that I tried to get bids from competitors to get a comparable price - but I could not find a single sign painter in my area...  it seems this is a dying art.  To me, this is an opportunity to get some nice, high-profit business.

Just planting a seed.  ;)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
Re: Sign Painting - an interesting niche
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 06:49:34 PM »
Jared

It is a shame all the good sign painters have gone to computerized stick on lettering. We had several around here that were great but they don't hand paint anything now.    :(

lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Fat Tony

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 01:13:41 PM »
I see a lot of that myself now that im paying attention. All comp graphics now.There is something i saw for the first time myself the other day here in Vegas. The front of the flamingo hotel has this huge and i mean HUGE photo i think you could call it of Toni Braxton the singer on the front of the hotel. I dont know if its online or you can do a search or whatnot. But this thing is incredible, it covers all the floors and the width of the front of the hotel. I know its comp graphics but how the hell they set it up and did it is a total mystery to me. I think some of you might know how they did it, but im stumped. lol

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 06:17:11 AM »
The local community college here has a two-year sign painting course...So naturally there's a sign contractor on practically every corner, though I don't know how busy most of them are...One of them, a friend I went to high school with years ago, has a crew of 12...And he tells me that he hasn't had a layoff (even in the winter) yet...