Author Topic: I dont like benjamin moore paint!  (Read 8390 times)

Offline newhomepainting

I dont like benjamin moore paint!
« on: September 23, 2006, 01:33:17 AM »
Well it killed a airless sprayer doesnt flow well at all,smells like vinger, has lots of small bits and pieces in the paint.  I bought $3000 worth for one house job what a rip off.  Stick with home depot ulta premium behr for $106 is a better paint.  I should mention i used super spec blue lable.  Owner only wants this paint so im stuck using this stuff.  Ive never tried impervo for trim yet though.  Anyone else not happy with this stuff?

the PAINTSMITH

Re: I dont like benjamin moore paint!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 07:27:19 AM »
Uh oh, did you use their "alkyd-enhanced/fortified/transformed/modified" product? I will not put any hybrid paint through my machine (again, after spending a whole summer getting  coagulated goo out of my pump), but I've never had any problem applying it with a brush and roller. It's actually quite tenacious and holds it's color quite well.

I strain virtually ALL materials that go through my pump. A strainer is cheap, a repack around $100.

Jared

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 10:33:39 AM »
I have to say, I prefer BM SuperSpec for many jobs...

Just had to do what could have been a total nightmare job - fixing mistakes made by a rental tenant who "painted" his apartment.  ;)

Using interior eggshell SuperSpec, I got unbelieveable dryhide coverage - no primer, painted with navajo white, over a dark brown.  Probably could have gotten away with single-coat coverage, especially since this was a rental...  but gave it two coats anyway.

5 gals of Interior Eggshell SuperSpec cost me $101.06 + tx.

Oh, and Paintsmith is TOTALLY right - do NOT ever try to put a "hot-rod acrylic" thru spray equipment - no matter WHO makes it.  ;)  If you're gonna use a hybrid paint, stick to brush & roller...  and keep in mind that your brush will be somewhat stiff upon next usage, if cleaned with water only.

PS:  I personally will never, ever use Behr standard finishes ever again.  Some of the most watery crap I've ever worked with, IMO.  (although it's still better than RL!!)  The last time I used Behr, I was painting my uncle's bathroom - and it took 4 coats to cover.  :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 10:36:54 AM by Jared »

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 10:46:37 AM »
ICI Dulux is our main paint vendor, ICI stores ( and paint ) seems to be geared to the painting contractor with application taken into consideration. We do use Ben Moore on occasion and on request. "Impervo" acrylic lays down much like ICI's "Durus" acrylic.

I would not recommend Ben Moore's Regal semi-gloss "AquaGlo".. very heavy bodied, difficult to apply due to the brush drag, dry time seems to be greatly extended, it does cover well but the dried sheen is more like a satin than a semi-gloss.

rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Jared

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 11:06:18 AM »
I would not recommend Ben Moore's Regal semi-gloss "AquaGlo".. very heavy bodied, difficult to apply due to the brush drag, dry time seems to be greatly extended, it does cover well but the dried sheen is more like a satin than a semi-gloss.

I am with you on that, 100%.

When a customer of mine requests the Benny Moore Regal line in a semigloss, I always recommend the AquaPearl finish instead.  It is close to a semi-gloss in sheen, but applies *somewhat* better and dries *more* normally.
ICI Dulux is our main paint vendor, ICI stores ( and paint ) seems to be geared to the painting contractor with application taken into consideration.

My local ICI/Dulux dealer tends to hire highschool kids and bored housewives...  so good luck getting ANY accurate info from them.  :(  In fact, the last 3 times I used 'em, they either mixed up the wrong color, or gave us the wrong product...  If not for this, I'd be using them more often, cause I DO really like their paints.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 12:08:48 PM by Jared »

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 06:29:08 PM »
It's funny the spectrum of personnel you'll find with most paint outlets...The ICI store I'd go to once in a while in Scottsdale felt more like a supermarket and had a huge consumer sales floor...The one in Fargo is absolutely pro-geared, right down to some of the most well educated paint reps I've met...

S-W is just the opposite--I don't even want to be seen on the same block with a S-W up here...Very contractor friendly in AZ...

The local BM dealer is 100% Joe Homeowner focused--Right down to the bilking he does with his prices. I only go in there to razz the guys (they are friends, after all) and buy a rare gallon of something--Never in quantity though...

Jared

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 07:07:27 PM »
The differences between dealers from region to region are plentiful, extreme, and completely random - or so it seems...

So, knowing this - it's a good idea to stick with the dealer(s) that YOU like in your particular area, for whatever reasons you might have.

Offline Paint Mode

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 08:22:25 PM »
  I'm using BM regal in a house right now. It's thick, puts alot of paint on the wall, doesn't cover for anything, and I also had small bits of dried paint in a newly opened 5.
  If I wasn't doing a job for someone else, I would have never agreed to use anything but the paint I normally use. This is a nightmare.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 08:26:05 PM »
we are having the same problem with the same paint. customer supplied it. don't like it at all.

lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 08:36:01 PM »
I spec Ben Moore for all our jobs. Rarely have a problem with it. I prefer the Regal Matte for walls. To each his own, eh??

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 09:11:28 PM »
I don't have a problem with their wall paint, just the regal trim. too thick and doesn't flow out, hard to apply & takes forever to dry. The eggshell wall paint is great. Falls in well.

lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 06:45:27 PM »
I would have to say that I too have the same problems with the paint.  I am always finding chunks of crap in the paint even when I have just opened the can up.  For the extra money I'm paying for this stuff you would think I wouldn't have this problem.  I am seriously thinking of switching paint suppliers because of this.  The only reason I started using them was because my local paint supplier switched over from F&H to Benjamin Moore. 
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 06:56:10 PM »
Hi MP

It's a shame to have to strain a new can of paint. Their paint use to be good. I think most paints have to be strained before you use them. It wastes a lot of time

Lynjo
Charlotte Whitton

anything