Author Topic: what would you do  (Read 7210 times)

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
what would you do
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:53:58 PM »
OK guys: Here's the scenario

You hired a guy a couple weeks ago and have been pretty happy with his production, neatness, work ethic etc..  You have painted several town houses for your best client with no major problems.  Gotta throw this one in, while taping the last town house he did mention some splatter from the previous paint job.

Today you get a call from the "owner", that there's "paint all over the out lets".  You rush over to check this out, and find that one switch in the kitchen was hit pretty good, there were a couple others with some splatter.  What would you do.  To the painter, for the client etc.

As we get more answers I'll let you know how this plays out.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Re: what would you do
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 12:40:15 AM »
I'd determine if the paint was fresh. If so, tell the new hire to clean it off, and watch out for it in the future.

If it wasn't fresh, show the homeowner and leave it at that.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:32:55 AM »
Yeah Darrell, ya can't condemn the guy after one job, really. But you should make sure that if he made the mess that he cleans it up to the customer's satisfaction...I will more than often clean previous painters' messes rather than risk the potential altercation with the customer.

I don't necessarily believe in the three strike rule, but sometimes a guy will come around once shown the error of his ways...If it becomes a babysitting situation, well... >:(

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 05:41:56 AM »
A walk through inspection! Since the work is a reflection on you and your company you cannot afford to skip the walk through inspection and hope for the best.

Prepare the punch list and resolve any issues before they breed bitterness. Apologize, apologize and then apologize and accept the blame.

Now, some will say, "why should I accept the blame?" Because, it's your employee and it's your responsibility.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »
don't believe I could add anything else to the great advice already given.    :)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 07:48:14 PM »
Tally

Praise him on his good qualities, then caution him on his slip-up on the outlets, etc. If you have found someone with good work ethics that is a plus. I'm sure all of us have hit and outlet occasionally, but clean if off immediately.   ;D

( he should have brought it to your attention sooner though, but may have been to intimidated to tell you being a new employee)

lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline yoohooblue

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 08:03:47 PM »
Turn the switch on, give him soaking wet rag and tell him to clean it off. :D

Really, it's not even close to the end of the world. I wouldn't tell the guy anything. I'd ask him if he is aware of it. Ask if it his and then ask if he was waiting until the room was done so he could clean up everything all at once. If he didn't do it, I would still ask him to clean it off. I keep rags with the consistency of towels, face cloths or sox around just for that purpose. Takes the paint right off sockets and switches with minimal effort. It's the difference between  the same room with different paint, and a room that looks newer.

Really, there is no reason the owner could not ask the painter in question about something this trivial.

Offline Flawless Finish

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 11:10:12 PM »
Tally did you do a walk-through before the job started?

You said the painter told you about the problem...was it before or after he painted?

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 12:14:51 AM »
OK, first, I wasn't trying to be deceitful.  I am the painter, not the contractor.  Most of the outlets, and baseboards had spatter from the previous painter, some might have been drywall mud.  I did mention this before starting work.  I agree that it's better to clean this stuff be this was excessive enough that it wasn't practical. 

There was one outlet in the kitchen that the extention pole slipped out of the socket as I was coming down the wall and hit the light switch.  The boss was painting in the same room while I cleaned it off.  I didn't mention it because I assumed he saw me cleaning the switch since I had to rinse the rag several times to get all the paint off.  The point is after cleaning it some more paint ran out the sides which is what got missed.  The owner/managers had cleaned the paint off before calling.  From my perspective I would have been happy to go over there even on my own time.  I feel the call was rather hysterical on there part since these units are always left flawless, and by that I mean no splatter, drips, etc.  Towel bars, counters, floors etc are wiped before we leave.   The contractor did this unit for free which I think was total over kill, I would replace the dam switch.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 06:12:03 AM »
I feel the call was rather hysterical on there part since these units are always left flawless, and by that I mean no splatter, drips, etc.

That's exactly why they called. Once you set a precedent; and yours is "always left flawless", the customer expects nothing less than the last performance.

I would rejoice in the fact that they expect you to keep up with your flawless work.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
Tally

Shame on you. We were all trying to help you out.   ::)
You really had us going & feeling sorry for your employee!!!!!!!

lynjo    :)
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 01:06:48 AM »
In a recent post I had said I was going to work for someone else.  I do admit that I phrased the post the way I did so I would get inbiased answers.  I think neatness etc is very important but the damm things are .69 a piece. WAY to big a deal was made of this.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »
Tally

Yea that was a little over kill. All is forgiven.

BTW you really patted yourself on the back in first post. Not many painters,etc. out there that have good work ethics & neatness.(or either). Glad you do.
Best of luck on your new job. I think your employer is lucky to have you.

lynjo
Charlotte Whitton

Offline paintingfirefighter

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 09:25:31 PM »
I personally tape all of my outlets and switches with tape.  This prevents paint splatter and any accidents from the brush or roller.  It may take take a few minutes, but I think its worth it.  I have never had one complaint about paint on an outlet or switch.