Author Topic: Your Thoughts on the (new?) Paintable Silicone II Caulk  (Read 5056 times)

Jared

Your Thoughts on the (new?) Paintable Silicone II Caulk
« on: October 11, 2006, 10:09:09 PM »
Well, just got back from the big orange box, as I was leaving I caught sight of one of the paint dept zombies putting up a new POS display for a new caulk product -

GE Silicone II XST - fully watertight and paintable.  They are basically claiming that it has all the properties of their Silicone II product line, except that paint will stick to it.  (Oh, they also claim it to be tack-free and paintable in 2 hours.)

Any of you folks use this product yet?  I am curious if it is any good...  if it IS, perhaps I'll buy a case and give out tubes to my plumber friends.  (That's right, I am a traitor - I DO hang out with plumbers.)  ;)

Offline Paint Mode

Re: Your Thoughts on the (new?) Paintable Silicone II Caulk
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 10:29:40 PM »
  The only thing I've ever used is Alex (something something). I knotice that with darker colors the caulking comes out lighter if you don't prime it, but I've never had any issues with the paint not sticking to it. I've mostly used it on newly re-textured ceilings and the white paint didn't make the caulking lighter.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 10:43:43 PM »
Plumbers!!.. OK.. but stay away from those knee kicker, baseboard busting, Carpet Layers!!..  ;D
The best I have used is "Lexel", weather tight and paintable, but it may not be available in Cal.
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Jared

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 11:06:07 PM »
The low VOC formulation of Lexel is available here.  A bit spendy, but good stuff - skins up really fast tho.  Maybe that is specific to the low-VOC formulation, I don't know.

But still, I think it is a good thing that they *finally* formulated a paintable silicone - perhaps, in time, we won't be cursing so many plumbers for using paint-unfriendly caulks...

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 06:26:40 PM »
Yeah, lexel tacks too quickly, makes for a difficult application but it does hold up under extreme conditions.
I have used the GE paintable clear silicone ( not sure if it was XST ) and  I was able to apply it much like a regular latex caulk. A big improvement over it's non-paintable brother, which, IMO should be banned from all corners of the earth... 
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."