Author Topic: Wagner Airless Sprayers- your opinions?  (Read 23217 times)

Offline offthewall

Wagner Airless Sprayers- your opinions?
« on: October 17, 2006, 09:28:45 AM »
I've put it off for a long time and now its time to suck it up and pay for my own sprayer.  Till now I've borrowed one from fellow painter buddies but I'm sick of asking them for a loaner.  I've used one of the Wagner 9170 Airless sprayers with pretty good results and the price on them seems right, but can anyone tell me anymore about them as far as durability/ reliability? I've also used a couple of the Graco models (which ones I cant remember) and to tell you the truth they all seem comparable.  The Graco's did have a better quality gun and tip but I figure I can always upgrade if I ended up with the 9170.  Any suggestions for a first time airless sprayer would be appreciated.
Matt

Offline Fred

Re: Wagner Airless Sprayers- your opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »
Funny you should ask. I spent last evening rebuiding one of our 9170's. it's a simple procedure and only cost about 50.00 for the kit. As for your question we used to use big gracos you know the 2 men and a wild boy to load it in the truck one. we switched to the spray tech/wagner for that reason they are much easier to move not to mention you can buy 2 of them for the price of a compareable Graco .it's still a trade off though the Gracos were/are more consistant with paint flow and with all things being equal GPM and pressure seem to kick out more paint. with that said we use the 9170's and like them the unit that I rebuilt last night had over 500 gallons pumped through her and was purchased from Gleempaint as a refurbed unit . Oh yeah we always upgrade the gun and the suction set . Happy Shopping
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......

Offline offthewall

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:31:46 PM »
Fred, thanks for your response.  I went and got the low end Spraytech 1620 from Lowes for $299 a few days ago.  I rarely use a sprayer except for a few doors and shutters every now and then and figured it would be good enough for that.  Then I came home and read your post, went straight to Gleempaint and bought a refurbed 9170 with an upgraded metal screen for the same price (plus shipping).  Just got it in today and except for a blems in the frame its perfect.  The 1620 is goin back!  Thanks for the tip.
-Matt

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 08:07:50 AM »
Yeah Matt, if it's not going to be used as a high production tool, the Wagner pruducts can and do accomplish the task for a fair amount less...I worked for a guy many years ago who had a Wagner that had such a consistant, even spray pattern that we used it for doors...Downside was that it was a hopper model and required a sitter...

My main rig nowadays is a Graco 695 Ultra. It's easy for me to throw on the truck and doesn't take up too much space, yet still pumps the elastomeric if necessary. I had a 795 highboy, but I can't trust myself to load and offload the thing without some risk. I've used all manner of sprayer, even a Graco 10,000, and though it took two guys to load, the wild boy was never needed... ;D

An ocaisional trip throught the pawnshops will reward you with higher end gear for less also...The Wagners and such often work wonderfully, but more plastic is involved, so maintain accordingly...

Offline Paint Mode

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 07:28:20 PM »
   I've never tried a wagner. I tend to need a sprayer once a month or so for ceilings only. I bought a graco stx ($8xx?) and it would overheat anytime I tried to spray the ceilings in a whole house. Not to mention the pressure of it caused me to waste more paint trying to cover the ceiling than was neccessary.
   After that sprayer, I've concluded that anytime I need a sprayer, I rent one from home depot. I add the cost into the job, the sprayer kicks butt, I don't have to cart it around everyday, and if it breaks, IT'S NOT MINE!!! (woohoo)  :D
   The 695's are nice, but the amount of work I spray doesn't call for buying one.

Vin

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 08:47:03 PM »
I used wagners for years before finally buying a Graco 395 and I LOVE THAT RIG ;D

I used  the diaphragm types and wore one out about every 9 months and that was a whole lot of paint going thru those little rigs so there darn sure worth the money, pay for themselves on the first or second job.

You have GOT to keep them clean run 3 buckets of water thru them at least leave no paint  behind trust me on that and use the rig cleaner and she'll last quite a few gallons of paint.

Offline Tallman

• Tallmanpainting.com
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »
I have both a Graco 395 and a Spraytech.  The Spraytech is a very simple sprayer and is easy to diagnose and work on when it's broken, it's also not as tough.  I love my Graco 395 and will buy another one this spring.  The diaphragm pumps are probably a good homeowner pump but I wouldn't own one.
"Friendly professionals providing expert craftsmanship and absolute quality"

Offline offthewall

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 10:46:51 PM »
Finally got to use the 9170 a few days ago and it works unreal.  It pretty much paid for itself with one job.  Hopefully it will be a reliable little machine.

Vin

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 09:21:25 AM »
I'm needing a backup rig I may get one. Gleem has them for $433 brand new , a guy on ebay has them cheaper then that with free shipping.

Offline offthewall

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 09:28:29 PM »
Hold up, I spoke to soon.  Got everything ready with the sprayer this morning, primed it and then kaput!  It will prime but won't hold a prime.  As soon as I switch it over to spray it runs endlessly with no pressure build-up.  Paint wiil barely drip from the gun.  So I call Gleempaint to get there input on how to fix it, try everything they're telling me and now not only will it not spray, it won't prime either!  I toyed around with it for a couple of hours, finally gave up and bought a Titan from one of the local paint stores to finish the job.  I came home to play with the Wagner some more and had no luck at all.  Something about the little ball up in the intake getting stuck is what they're telling me but it looks to be moving freely to me.  The guy at the paint store said it sounds like it needs to be rebuilt.  I've only used it 2 times.  Not a happy camper right now.  I would say something about the Titan but I've already done enough damage by speaking to soon about the Wagner being so great.   

Vin

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 11:28:08 AM »
You got the refurbished one didn't you? if so all i can say is you got a lemon and thats to damn bad they should be testing those units before they are sold and made sure the unit is in perfect condition.

I've bought several things refurbed, a camcorder that turned out to be alemon and and Ipod and I will NEVER buy refurbed again and I mean NOTHING!!! :P

Offline Tallman

• Tallmanpainting.com
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 12:29:12 AM »
Hold up, I spoke to soon.  Got everything ready with the sprayer this morning, primed it and then kaput!  It will prime but won't hold a prime.  As soon as I switch it over to spray it runs endlessly with no pressure build-up.  Paint wiil barely drip from the gun.  So I call Gleempaint to get there input on how to fix it, try everything they're telling me and now not only will it not spray, it won't prime either!  I toyed around with it for a couple of hours, finally gave up and bought a Titan from one of the local paint stores to finish the job.  I came home to play with the Wagner some more and had no luck at all.  Something about the little ball up in the intake getting stuck is what they're telling me but it looks to be moving freely to me.  The guy at the paint store said it sounds like it needs to be rebuilt.  I've only used it 2 times.  Not a happy camper right now.  I would say something about the Titan but I've already done enough damage by speaking to soon about the Wagner being so great.   

Pull it apart untill you get to the little balls and clean them with laquer thinner.  You have clean your pump out really well and keep the hose in water or thinner so paint doesn't dry on those little balls.
"Friendly professionals providing expert craftsmanship and absolute quality"

Offline Desy101

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 05:49:58 AM »
thank you for your good answers, useful.
192.168.l.l
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:59:39 PM by Desy101 »

anything