Author Topic: I turn into a nervous wreck  (Read 11542 times)

Vin

Re: I turn into a nervous wreck
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »
Welp I did it, turned down the job he tried everything in the book to get me to change my mind( even said I could use my own guys )  I felt like an absolute idiot flip flopin back and fourth but I just have to think maybe i saved myself some misery and trouble , at least until I get things right I wont try this again.

Offline DavidHenshaw

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »
Vin, going into every job my number one concern is getting paid. If there is anything that makes me think I might have trouble getting paid I pass on the job. If I understand one of your previous posts about the $2,500 job the guy who was going to hire you wanted to help you do some of the work and wanted $500 to do it.  That would be a see ya later sign for me. I don't want the customer doing anything other than adhering to the terms of the contract they sign.

I just had a rental management guy ask me to quote some vacant rentals. The first three weren't too bad so I went ahead and bid, but the next six ranged from poor condition to very poor. Not the kind of stuff I want to work on. And you gotta believe the guiding factor for the owner of this kind of property is: cheap, cheap, cheap. It was depressing to even be in these places.

Jared

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »
Sounds like you made the right call, Vin.

As much as I have been lucky in my own experiences with independent property managers & landlords, there surely are MANY slumlords out there to watch out for.

Working in the wrong houses is no fun.  That does not mean that all old, poorly maintained houses are to be avoided - I am in a 1940's house right now that has not been painted in 15 years, and it is a great job.  Just be as choosy about picking your jobs as you can possibly be.  In time, you should be able to pick just the best jobs and stay busy all the time.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 07:28:19 PM by Jared »

Vin

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 12:14:28 AM »
David that was the deciding factor when he told me he didn't want me using my guys, I have one guy that helps me on just about every good size job, matter of fact he's my supervisor on my regular job. I don't have to tell him a thing he gets right on things and get's it done fast. Davied I LOVE those nasty jobs ;D I double coat them and charge time and a half which really bumps up my pay ;)

Jared thanks I know I did the right thing but it's good to hear it from you guys too, we have to be able to say NO when we know somethings not right, i'm a yes man alot of the time just to keep the peace at work but with my own thing i'm not always going to be that yes boy, gotta say no sometimes.

Jared the first big paint job I did was on a 1940's house that hadn't been painted in 20 years, multi level 10' ceilings and the lady smoked, chain smoked.  I had to wash down the whole house 2 times to get the tar off the walls and roll the whole house floor to ceiling, she had emphysema so couldn't spray in her house, double coater too, it took me 5 weeks to do the inside of that house

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 09:31:54 AM »
No offense, but I would have walked on that one.  This guys sounds like he is playing you.  I've dealt with so many jerkoffs its rediculous.  My favorite line to hear is " I've got a lot more work so give me a good price on the this job".  As soon as I hear that I know they are looking for Walmart pricing.   I just told a contractor I didn't want to do his work anymore because I was tired of all the bullshit associated with his jobs, he would do the same stuff you were talking about.  Plus he lied to me all the time about pricing and how he never made any money off me just so "HE" could keep me working.  I had already had a another job lined up with him when I told him I didn't want to the work and the customer called me to find out why I wasn't doing the work.  After a long discussion, and I didn't bad-mouth him, I found out that he was marking up my prices 2 and 3 times what I wanted (and I was buying all the materials!!!)  Needless to say she also told me that the new workers on the job spoke no english except the "leader" and his was very broken.  AHH whatever!!!  This makes me really hate people sometimes.  Greedy bastards.
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com

Vin

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 09:09:51 PM »
I got 8 apartments today from the University I work for so things are looking up, all full paints walls only and some drywall repairs, happy days once again.

Offline Tallman

• Tallmanpainting.com
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 08:51:51 PM »
  Needless to say she also told me that the new workers on the job spoke no english except the "leader" and his was very broken.  AHH whatever!!!  This makes me really hate people sometimes.  Greedy bastards.

Do you think they are hiring illegals? I'd call L&I about the job.  I do that when suspect unlicensed contractors working. 

If I decide to never touch a brush again tomorrow, I'll find another job and probably make a decent wage.  My guys on the other hand know nothing but painting and have a hard enough time making ends meet.  They work hard and I want to compensate them as well as I can and remain profitable. Our business is competitive, I pay $500 a year for my bond, $500 a month for my insurance and taxes on all my employees.  It's costs a lot of freaking money to run a legit business.  Letting guys who break the rules beat you out of jobs hurts you, your guys and the trade in general.
"Friendly professionals providing expert craftsmanship and absolute quality"