Author Topic: Hobbies Anyone?  (Read 46231 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Hobbies Anyone?
« on: November 23, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »
Being as this is off-topic I figured it better go in a topic-grey area... ;D

Besides the R/C airplane thing I do when I can afford it (not in a few years now :'(), I'm a songwriter and sometime performer. I've been a musician virtually all my life, and here lately the songs have been getting a bit better...I have an account at www.soundclick.com/ericriehle and am selling NOTHING  ;), though it'd be nice to hear a song on the radio some day...The songs posted aren't my best, because I'm very slow at recording...I don't know if the site wants you to register or not, I've never had to register just to listen.

Anyone else have time in their busy schedules for indulgences?

Jared

Re: Hobbies Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 01:18:20 PM »
Besides sleep (which I don't get quite enough of to consider a full habit), about the only hobby I have time for is posting here.  ;)

Used to do "PC repairs / custom built PCs & Macs / small network administration / web design / web hosting / search engine optimization" on the side as a hobby, but gave that up due to many factors - primarily the time and $$ it sucked up.  Now I only do PC work occasionally for myself.

I have been lucky enough to enjoy many different occupations in my short life - my favorite was an 8-year stint as a glassblower.  I suppose if I had to pick a hobby to take up, I'd set up a small shop in a garage somewhere and start creating glass artwork again.  Perhaps when I retire in 20 yrs or so...  ;)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 04:21:23 PM »
HI Eric

My hobby is restoring old family photos. Is the photo in  Bartholomew of your great Grandfather?  That is really the type of photos I love. I have one of my Great Great Great Grandfather.

BTY if have slooooow internet service so I couldn't hear you music, but the photo really caught my eye.

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline J-Van-Damme

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 06:07:06 PM »
Eric,

You play some nice guitar!
Jeff

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 07:42:37 PM »
eric,
listened to your songs,Bartholomew,Cattails,andWhat strange highway. 8). if this is your hobby you are
a lucky guy.good solid songs of reality.it must have been pretty cool to start up for robin trower and
all those other bands.oh yea about that hiway...

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »
Damn Eric... The Marshall Tucker Band with a dash of Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan. I really enjoyed it....  ;D

rmichael
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:16:57 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 08:31:07 AM »
Well thanks guys, I appreciate the comments...I spent a number of years as a professional bass player many years ago. It's been a long time, but I still plink around a bit--And I think I'm getting a little better now that I've picked it up again. I'm actually playing a show at the local arts theater in February--Nuthin' but my own music...Haven't been on a stage doing that kinda thing since 1989...

Lynjo, that photo is my of my Great Grandfather Andrew, youngest son of Bartholomew and besides Bart's wife the only family member (out of 22 original children) to show up at the funeral...I'm working on a shot of Bart to replace Andrew...and if you PM me with your mailing address I'd be happy to mail you a CD if you're really interested...

I'm kinda humbled that your opinions are so positive...I'm arrogant about my paint work quality, but I hate the sound of my own voice, which makes it hard to put everything into my recordings...If you like my style though, just check in once in a while, I'm always working on uploading new stuff... ;)And feel free to share the link... ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Eric

Vin

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 10:20:49 AM »
Eric man you have a great voice man, REALLY good guitar work too.

I'm sending this to my cousins husband he lives in Nashville he's a music producer , he's on his own but he just got done producing this gal http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kristiwarner

His name is David Norris and he loves working with musicians, that is if your interested? you never know until you try!

Man I love that song what a strange highway, Bro it gave me the chills !!

I went ahead and forewarded your site link for him to look you over ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 10:29:16 AM by Vin »

Vin

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 10:38:57 AM »
Well you guys know I love fishing I also lift weights, collect antiques and vintage JUNK I have an inkwell collection thats gotten out of hand , several hundred very old inkwells the type used before ball point pens my favorite being heavy glass types. Also have gotten into video editing pretty heavily in the last year.

Like Jared I have dabbled but no quite to his level in computers mostly the artisitic end like Lyn doing using graphic art type software.

BUT as like most of us here WORK takes up alot of time and energy, when I find myself doing nothing BUT WORK I get my poles out and load them up in the truck and go fishin it takes me away from all of this even if it's for just a few hours, like getting a breathe of fresh air, clears my mind.

I'm also pretty involved in online NA program reaching out to others online who have drug and alcohol addictions, it's my service and my duty to help and provide information to others who struggle with in life with substance abuse, in order for me to keep what I have I have to give back whats been freely given to me. Freedom from the bondage of addiction.

I have over 6 years clean working on sobriety and serenity is a daily priority for me, without sobriety I would have none of this in my life.......

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 11:12:21 AM »
WOW Vin, thanks!! I'm absolutely always interested in making contacts, especially in Nashville...I'm a member of NSAI (the Nashville Songwriters Association International), but I have absolutely no contacts in the industry except for a producer in Austin TX who was Clapton's drummer on the Slowhand and Backless albums...And I haven't had the guts yet to approach him with any of my tunes...

...I'm not nearly so interested in recording and touring as I am at selling my songs to folks like Chesney or Big $ Rich...or Marshall Tucker  ;) ...Thanks again Vin!

...Now, as to fishing...For relaxation, fishing would be my absolute favorite pasttime. We have literally thousands of freshwater lakes up here in MN, and my vacations are ALWAYS fishing vacations...Nuthin' will get your adrenaline rushing like hooking into a nice northern--They fight better than any fish I've had on the line...

I've got a 14' Alumacraft--Don't really want a bigger boat because I like smaller waters and fishing the shallows and breaks, besides the maintenance being cheaper...

Vin, you come up next summer and I'll take you to some great pike and walleye spots, and if we get skunked I grill a mean inch-and-a-half thick ribeye... 8)

Eric

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:43:13 PM »
Vin

What programs do you use? I've found Adobe Photo shop works best. Very pricey though.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Vin

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 01:21:29 PM »
Lyn I use PSP 8 I started when PSP 6 came out but darned if I can get that layering stuff still, just not enough practice time.

Adobe is a user friendly program to use compared to PSP  >:( and does the same thing if not even more.

Love a good thick ribeye Eric ;D

David writes alot also, thats the sole reason for them moving to Nashville really, he's just hoping for that one break but he's got alot of contacts all over. He just got back from a recording gig in Japan a few months back so he gets stuff here and there it's just the competition out there makes it really tough on a person.

My hope is after starting this business venture that in a few years it allows me to travel more and fish in all the places i've dreamed of fishing, it's worth working hard . The long days and weeks of work can become profitable enough to do some nice things with this life, i'd love to get up to MN and do some fishing never even seen a pike or walleye down here in california.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 08:38:38 AM »

Is the photo in  Bartholomew of your great Grandfather? 

Now it is... 8)

Eric

Vin

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 11:11:43 PM »
Definetly a resemblance there Eric ;)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 06:47:14 PM »
Eric

You look a lot like Great Grandfather. Great photo.

Lynjo

Charlotte Whitton

anything