Author Topic: Hobbies Anyone?  (Read 46237 times)

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Hobbies Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 01:07:19 PM »
No , I haven't. Is that a game?   I googled Jack Conger and got little. But there was a Paul Conger- 11 1/2 kills.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 07:06:57 PM »
Jack was married to my husband's sister (third and last wife ) He just passed a few months ago with Full Military Honors. This is one well documented and circulated story about Jack.

Lynjo

After downing three other Zeros during a dogfight on October 25,1st Lt. Jack E. Conger of VMF-212 went into the drink after he rammed a fourth Zero--since he had no ammunition left. The Japanese pilot also parachuted and insisted the Marine rescue boat pick up Conger first. Conger had to convince the Marines not to shoot the chivalrous enemy pilot and was the first to reach down to pull him aboard. Taking umbrage at the dishonorable prospect of capture, the Japanese pilot, 19-year-old Petty Officer 2nd Class Shiro Ishikawa of the 2nd Kokutai, thrust his 8mm Nambu pistol out of the water into Conger's face and pulled the trigger. The wet ammo misfired and then misfired again when Ishikawa tried to shoot himself. Having had enough, Conger (who would finish with 10 1/2 kills) brained his recent aerial adversary with a five-gallon gas can and hauled him into the boat.
http://www.historynet.com/air_sea/aerial_combat/3028101.html?page=3&c=y

Col. "Smiling" Jack Conger, USMC, filmed bomb runs while flying his Corsair, 1944-1945.
http://www.bentstarproject.org/action.html

http://www.acepilots.com/usmc_aces_list.html
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2006, 08:13:46 PM »
S!   ( Salute!  shorthand- used when shot down by good advasary online) 

Those were amazing times with amazing men.   
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 08:26:46 PM »
Yea, we really enjoyed his war stories before having a stroke & losing his ability to speak or walk. Very sad ending for such a hero. His wife has a scrape book of his military life. Many articles in the Havelock Winsock (Cherry Point Marine Base, NC paper) about his valor, he was fearless. He passed away in April.

Lynjo

PS I'm a lot younger than him just in case you thought I was his age. ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 08:29:53 PM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 11:40:09 AM »
Lynjo,

I served with vma-311 (chu lai and vmat-102 (yuma)69-73.

I know his heroic story.

I collect A4-Skyhawk and F4-Phantom memorabilia.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 02:48:07 PM »
Michael & Brushjocky

Here as some photos of Jack I though you might like. He gave the helmet back to Japanese pilot Shiro Ishikawa. He is the pilot in the story above.They corresponded often over the years before they meet in person.  The picture is of their first meeting after the war. Shiro thanked Jack for saving his life. ( Shiro was scheduled to become a Kamikaze pilot.) They had many more meetings & became good friends.

Lynjo

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 04:10:52 PM by Lynjowoman »
Charlotte Whitton

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 03:07:57 PM »
Very nice!  Thanks for that! 

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 04:14:14 PM »
Sorry the photos are so large but I wanted you to be able to read the captions.
Glad you liked them. :)

Lynjo
Charlotte Whitton

Vin

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2007, 07:24:42 PM »
Thats quite a story lyn thanks, God Bless all of our soldiers so many brave men and women put themselves in harms way, even today , sadly these wars just seems to go on and on....

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2007, 07:28:49 PM »
Thanks Vin
I have more pictures & articles from local paper. I anyone is interested I will try to post them

Lynjo
Charlotte Whitton

Vin

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »
Postum Lyn.

I ran into a ww2 vet today and made the comment " There aren't many of you guys left " he sorta giggled and agreed, his wife jumped in and said ' He's 86 years old and running like a top" LMBO we all had a good giggle, told him he sure didn't look no 86, another giggle, real nice folks. Lately i've noticed alot of Vets wearing those ball caps stating what fights they were in, feel like saluting everyone of them they are the men who made this country what it is, fought and died for what we have today I just hope we can hang on to it.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »
Vin

May take a few days but I will post them. My desk is piled to the ceiling with paper work I keep putting off.

Lynjo
Charlotte Whitton

Vin

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM »
Get on it women LOL i have it that way here getting ready for tax man.............Grrrr

I just hooked up a All in One machine today that was fun "NOT"

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2007, 06:30:56 PM »
Here you go Vin & anyone else interested.

Ms. Deere was very mistaken about him not having friends to visit. Many of his friends visited often. Every year after his stroke in 93, when the Marine Corp. celebrated their birthday many of the young Marines would bring him a cake & celebrate with him at home.

Lynjo
Charlotte Whitton

Vin

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2007, 11:09:13 PM »
Glad those men went and visitied him that was a very kind gesture and i'm sure brought him great peace.

Thanks Lyn, just reading one articel where it said 300,000 men lost there lives in that war, incredible amount of death just incredible!!!

anything